Chapter 2

It was officially September 10th, and I awoke to the delicious smell of what I knew to be my mother's French toast. I rolled over and stretched, feeling slightly tired. I was up late last night with Stella and Terrance while they had a mini celebration for me, including binge-watching anime, all my favorite snacks, plenty of marijuana, and tons of laughs. Once we sobered up, they dropped me off back home at about 1:00 a.m. My mom always made me breakfast on my birthday, so I made sure to be home for it.

I sat up and checked my phone. It was a little after 10 a.m., and my text messages and social media notifications were full of birthday wishes. I smiled as I scrolled through them, responding to the individual letters. Finally, I got up, threw on the pajamas I had taken off, and tossed them on the floor the night before I went to the kitchen.

Mom was sitting at the breakfast-laden kitchen table when I walked in, and when she saw me, she smiled and said, "Happy Birthday, baby!" She jumped, hugged me tightly, and led me to the table. It was piled high with French toast, sausages, bacon, eggs, and fruit. In the middle of the French toast was a single candle already lit.

I grinned and said, "Thanks, mom!" I blew out the candle and dug into the food, talking and laughing. Once we were finished, Mom said, "I have a gift for you, and she got up and went upstairs to her room and came down a few minutes later. She sat back down and pulled a little black box from her robe. I said, "You didn't have to. You are already taking me out today. That's enough." She rolled her eyes and said, "Child, just open it." I smirked and reached out to grab the box. It was a small black jewelry box. I lifted the lid and gasped.

I lifted a gold chain with a small circular diamond from the box. It was a slightly old-fashioned chain, but it was beautiful. I looked up at Mom and said, "Really? You are going to give this to me?" She nodded and said, "I know you already know, but I've been so excited to finally give you the necklace your daddy gave me when we first became a couple. He saved up until he could afford it; it was important to him to ask me out properly. I wanted to give you something of both of us on your 18th." I felt my eyes water and tried my best not to cry. I just stood up and hugged her. She reached up and hugged me back, rocking me gently and rubbing my back. Finally, I stepped back and wiped my eyes. She smiled and then stood up herself. She said, "All right, we have a spa appointment at one, so go ahead and get dressed."

I saluted and then ran upstairs with my gift. I showered and threw on some comfortable shorts and a T-shirt. I pulled my hair into a high bun, knowing it would get done today, so I wasn't worried about t cooperating. Even though it was a little fancy for my outfit, I briefly put on my necklace and admired it in the mirror. Mom loved this necklace, and when I was little and my dad was still around, they would tell me about their romance and showed me the necklace several times. I had always admired it.

I grabbed my wallet and phone and left my room, wandering down the hallway into my mom's. She was finishing up dressed in sweatpants and a t-shirt, her hair pulled up just like mine. She smiled and said, "It looks good on you, baby." I said, "Thank you again; I love it. She smiled and said, "Of course, sweetie. Now let's get this day rolling."

We headed out of the house and jumped into my mom's Cadillac, heading towards the spa. My mom and I always went to the same one; it was owned by a friend of my mom's named Ms. Erin. Mom and Ms. Erin met when they were both in college and have been friends ever since. She had gone to business and hospitality school and worked in the industry for years. It was only aboutfive5 years ago that she could finally open her own business. She was one of the few black-owned spas at this end of Louisiana, and she did everything; massages, facials, hair, nails, waxing, the whole shebang. My mom has supported her ever since, and Ms. Erin always offered us a discount, and my mom tipped generously.