Chapter One

Everyday it's the same. Wake up at exactly 6 o'clock sharp. Walk downstairs to the Cafeteria in exactly 3 minutes and 23 seconds. Eat rubbery scrambled eggs and cardboard toast with three bites per minute and one sip of water between each minute. Return to the Dorm 30 seconds slower.

This is normal for everyone. Everyone is programmed to do so. Only I'm aware.

Well, no one really knows I'm aware. I guess it's not really a good thing that I understand what's going on. So it's kind of a deep dark secret I keep to myself. And the scientist who checks my data every single day of my sad, sad existence. I don't think he'll tell anyone though, it's kind of his fault I'm fully functioning and aware.

Okay, should I start at the beginning?

My title is Experiment 413 and I am basically a fully breathing, fully aware robot. I was built to replicate the perfect human life in case of the extinction of mankind, but I failed for some reason. My scientist says it's something about an intolerance to a sort of Arachis Hypogaea? Plus apparently my creators messed up on my human teeth. I have an overbite I think. 

So the other scientists threw me in with the other 412 failures to work as back ups for war and emergencies. We live in what is called the Cellar. It's a big underground facility that works kind of like a human school, without the learning and junk. We all have a schedule to follow programmed into the tiny chip in our ear.

Except my scientist removed that chip. He then replaced it with his own, something he invented himself. He says it's the first computer programmed human personality on Earth. I said that was pretty cool. He told me I couldn't tell the other scientists though. It was our secret. I liked keeping secrets from the other scientists. They were all kind of condescending and rude. It was nice having the upper hand for once.

My scientist also gave me another secret to keep to myself.

I once had a body. A living, breathing, heart beating, body. My scientist created me as a replacement for that human. Apparently he died. My scientist didn't tell me why. He didn't say much after that. I wanted to know but knew not to press him. My scientist was weird. He did so much for me. He kept me safe in the Cellar. I don't know what would happen to me if the other scientists found out I could think. I don't want to know.

A small, electric shock travelled across my body, each sensor hidden under my rubber skin jerking awake with a start. My vocal circuits shorted out and a small, grainy yelp leaped from my throat. 

"I wouldn't've given you a brain if I knew you'd just ignore me."

I snapped my blue, light emitted diode eyes to the location of vocal transmission to find my scientist staring back at me, his long legs spread a part in a wheeled chair. I blinked a couple times, the light in the room dimming slightly. My scientist not only acted different but looked different from the others in the Cellar. For starters, he was very pale, almost as if he had never seen the sun and stayed down here with me his entire life. Freckles dotted his skin, almost hidden underneath the large, unusual pointed glasses that always hung on his face. I rarely saw him without them, but on a rare occasion, when he was studying my circuits or viewing my files, I caught a glimpse of his eyes. They too, were unusual. I had a full understanding on how my eyes were very different from a human's; They glowed and shone in the dark, while human's were more dim and dark. My scientist was an exception. His eyes were almost golden. They were orange and fiery. His hair was coarse and blonde, slicked back on his forehead so not a strand hung in his face. He wore the simple scientist uniform of a white lab coat and sky blue undershirt. I never learned his real human name, and never thought to ask. That was out of my programmed etiquette.

"I'm sorry!" I spoke quickly, my voice returning to it's normal, strange self

"I'm sorry!" I spoke quickly, my voice returning to it's normal, strange self. I had received one of the more squeaky and younger voices, as if my manufacturers were trying to make me a child. That might be true. I knew my scientist was part of when I was built, and maybe he had built me to look like my human self. Maybe I had died as a child. I had many questions that remained unanswered. "Please repeat your commands."

"I said," My scientist repeated, an accent creeping into his words. My internal database recognized it as Western, or more descriptively, Texan. "How have you been holding up? You haven't been too human, hm?" I shook my head quickly, knitting my eyebrows together while registering the question. 

"I don't think so?" What exactly does that mean? "I've measured my steps and time to get places. I speed up by zero-point-three-nine-seven-ei-" My scientist holds up a hand before I can finish counting my speed. 

"Definitely not."