Chapter-Two: Candy

Candy

Okay, so this was what happened.

Or, no.

More like, what I think happened.

I was asleep.

The business line rang.

I always needed work.

I picked up.

"Candy?"

The second I heard his voice, I knew. It was the sleazy D.A. a.k.a, Dumb Ass. Some of them, you're just like, "Oh. Him."

"Hi, sweetie," I said, rolled over and checked the time. It was always easier sounding nice when I don't have to look them in the face. "How have you been?"

"You know - " Dumb Ass' voice cracked, like a horny twelve year old's.

Revise.

Dumb Ass was a horny twelve year old with a law degree and two grand for fun.

"Who this is?"

"Where'd you want to meet?" I asked. Let's get down to business, I thought, walked to the bathroom, and sat down to pee.

"How'd you know it was me?" he said. He sounded anxious.

I'm the Candy store, I thought, reaching for the the counter and grabbed the pill bottle.

"What time."

He paused, like he had to "think" about it.

"Honey, that wasn't a question, if you - "

"Eleven-thirty," he said, and hung up.

I unscrewed the cap, and tapped one out. The bottle was almost empty. I needed to make a run.

I'd do Dumb Ass, hit the 405, and roll into T.J. by two.

Returning, I'd stop in La Jolla for a late lunch at the Jewel. I'd ask for a window table, you know, one that faced the ocean.

Maybe I'd see some dolphins.