Chapter 5: Party invitations

The rest of the day when by in a blur and soon enough the bell was ringing for the end of the day. I had told Nancy at lunch that our sleep over was still on and, as I had expected, she was thrilled to pieces. As I walked out of the school building, I was feeling happier than I had in a very long time. Until, that is, I saw Blake leaning against his car staring at me. I moved to walk past him to the gate but I felt a hand wrap around my upper arm and drag me back to the car.

"What are you doing?" I yelled at him as I tried to avoid tripping over.

"You're coming home with me." He says abruptly, letting me go next to the passenger side door. 

"The hell I am!" I told him, planting my hands on my hips. A few people began to stare at us, no doubt wondering what I was doing with Mr. Popular himself. Blake glared at me which made me feel like a child being scolded.

"If you don't want to get a lift home you can take it up with our mothers, because I'm driving you under their orders." He said, getting in behind the wheel. Knowing that I would only get into another fight with my mum if I didn't go home with him, I got in the car. I might actually have to keep to my word and try to get along with Blake. He started the car and began to pull out of the carpark.

"What about Amara?" I asked looking incredulously at him. "You aren't going to leave without her, are you?" He rolled his eyes and stared at the road, hands tightening on the wheel until his knuckles were white.

"She's got gymnastics training." He replied gruffly.

"Oh." The car was silent for a while as we drove down the road.

"Do you want to go to a party with me tonight?" For a moment what Blake had said didn't register in my brain. I looked at him with a puzzled expression on my face and opened my mouth to reply but he continued before I could get a word out. "You don't have to. I just thought it would be a good idea to show our parents that we're getting along." My heart deflated a bit and I scowled at him.

"No, thank you." I said bitterly. "I don't want to go out just to be ignored." Now it was Blake's turn to be confused. "You just want to show our parents that we're getting along, which means as soon as we get there you'll ditch me to hang out with your friends. It's not like you'd want to spend the time with me." I said darkly, staring out the window.

"I asked you to go because I wanted to spend the time with you." He said sounding annoyed and almost disappointed. "If we're going to be living together I thought that maybe we should at least try to get along. Maybe even become friends." We pulled into my driveway and he pushed the car door open. "But it's obvious you aren't interested, so forget I said anything." He spat before getting out of the car. I hurried out after him and put a hand on his arm to stop him halfway up the drive.

"Wait. Please? I'm sorry." I said at his broad back. Woah, I thought to myself, I just apologised to Blake Kingston. Holy crap, never thought those words would leave my mouth. It took another few moments for my brain to shake off the shock of what I had said before I could continue talking. "I didn't know you really felt that way. I just..." I paused, groping at the words I was trying to say, "...I'm so used to us hating each other, I didn't expect you to want to hang out with me." He turned to look at me with apprehensive eyes. I gazed down at the ground but kept going anyway. "But I really would like us to get along better. I've always hated having an enemy. It's not nearly as fun as everyone thinks." I let out a small laugh that dried up when I met Blake's gaze. For a moment my heart stuttered and a strange fluttering feeling curled in my belly as I looked into his deep eyes. He had an expressionless look on his face as he stared me down. For a fraction of a second his eyes softened while he looked at me but it was gone as soon as it came, leaving me to wonder if it was ever truly there at all.