Chapter II

I stepped out of the old store to find us surrounded by walkers. I immediately pulled out my sword and one of the daggers off my belt. We cleared the area of about fifteen walkers. Once it was clear, Daryl said, "So are you driving something or have you been walking, sweetheart?"

I said, "I’m riding."

I nodded towards my dirt bike sitting near the store. Glenn threw up his hands and said, "She even drives one of those things! I’m telling you, you two are related."

I walked towards my dirt bike shaking my head. I thought to myself, I sure am glad we’re not related. My heart might be stone but my body sure ain’t and it still appreciates a good looking man.

I threw my leg over the seat and started it up. The purr it made had me smiling. I heard another engine start up and it had me looking around. Daryl and Glen were on a motorcycle. Daryl yelled over the roar of his engine, "Just follow us."

I nodded. He pulled out in front of me and took off. I didn’t exactly pay attention to how long it took for us to get there but it couldn’t have been long. As we approached the gates of what looked like a prison, somebody opened them. I parked my bike next to the motorcycle. A man and a boy greeted us. The man asked, "Who’s this, Daryl?"

"Don’t know. I found her hiding in a store. She wouldn’t tell me her name."

He looked at me and said, "Sweetheart, this is Rick. He’s kind of the leader of our little group. And this here is his son, Carl. Mind tellin’ us your name?"

I looked at him. Should I trust them? I saw the kindness their. I also saw a hardness. I recognized that hardness. It’s the same thing that filled me. I guess that similarity between us finally made my decision. "Celeste. My name’s Celeste O'Connor."

He stuck his hand out and said, "Well, Celeste O'Connor, my name’s Daryl Dixon. Guess we’re now formally introduced."

I looked at his hand and then up at him. I raised a brow at him. I smirked and shook my head. I looked at Rick. I asked, "So how long have you been here?"

"Not long."

Glenn said, "She talks!"

"Yeah, I talk. What’d you think I was, a mute?"

"I didn’t say that."

Daryl smirked and Rick chuckled. Rick said, "I like her already. Let’s go inside."

On the way inside, Carl asked, "Where are you from?"

"West Virginia."

"That’s a long way away, isn’t it?"

"Yeah, it is. But here’s not full of reminders of what my life used to be like. There, no matter where you go, you’re surrounded by mountains. I just kept going until I finally got here. I guess I was trying to escape what the mountains represented."

"And what was that?"

"What?"

"What’d they represent?"

"They used to mean home. A lot of that’s destroyed now and the mountains just seemed to mock me. I had to get away. I came to Atlanta hoping to find help. I only found a city overrun by the dead."

Carl said, "We went to Atlanta, too. Then we went to the CDC. And then..."

"Carl." His flow of words was cut off by his father. I knew that tone. It was the same tone my mother used to use when I talked too much. I guess I understood. I wouldn't some stranger knowing everything about us. I wouldn't be talking much but he was just so darn cute that I couldn't help it. I'd always hated that fallen look kids get when they're brushed off. I'd held that look way to often.

Rick stopped us at the entrance to the prison. He looked at me and said, "I'm gonna need your weapons."

My guard immediately went up. I asked, "Why?"

"Look, we don't know you. We don't know what kind of person you are and I won't put my group in danger by letting an armed stranger into our midst."

I looked him in the eye. Did I want to give up my weapons? The prison looked safe. Well, as safe as a place could be nowadays. I understood his reasoning but that didn't mean I had to like it. I finally gave in. A secure place like this was just too good to pass up. I nodded and said, "Um, it's going to take two of you to carry them all."

Rick just reached out his hand and Glenn raised an eyebrow. Daryl just stood there. I handed Rick my bow first. Then I handed him my arrows. He slung them over his shoulder. I then unhooked both knife cases that held my daggers to my belt. I put them in the hand that wasn't holding my bow. With his hands full he asked, "Is that all?"

I shook my head and reached down to take the knives out of my boots. I handed them to Glen. I hesitated, not really wanting to get the other knife in front of these three men. Ricked asked again, "That all?"

"Uh, no."

"How many more could you possibly have?"

"One."

"Well, let's have it."

"Must you. My great-grandma gave it to me."

"Hand it over. I'll take good care of it."

I sighed and said, "Fine."

I reached into my bra and almost started laughing at their expresions. I undid the clasp holding it there and handed it to Glenn. He hesitated slightly before taking it. I asked, "What? Are you afraid of cooties, Glenn?"

Daryl snorted and Rick covered a laugh with a cough. Daryl said, "I like you more and more, sweetheart."

He got the door and I followed Rick while the other two followed. Carl had ran ahead. I assumed he was already telling the others. I noticed the big "C" above the door. We were met by a group of people. There was a blonde that looked a little older than Carl, a big black guy, a guy with a scraggly beard, another guy with a beard only he had one leg, a woman with short, brown hair, and a another woman with even shorter hair that was holding a baby.

***************READ*****ME*******

So what do y'all think? I've already got the first big surprise planned thanks to Vampiregirl81. We were bored in history class so we were tossing around story ideas. Oh, just a random fact: Celeste is my name in Spanish class. I got tired of trying to think of a name so I just went with that.

Anywhooo, Please COMMENT. Please, it's very important. It just might make the voices stop! ^_^

OH! Please vote/fan too. Those are important too. Votes are really nice. Just to prove that y'all read this put this word in a comment and I'll dedicate a chapter to you. (awesomesauce)

I guess I'll stop rambling now. Sorry this chapter was so short. I'm going to try to update every Thursday.

Adios amigos!

xoxo

Werewolfgirl13