How could this happen?

How could things have gotten so bad so fast! Just last year I had gotten to see the love of my life when he decided to move down here. It was December 18th, 2019, and we had had a great year.. I'd waited over 3 years to finally be able to be with him.. And now I finally am.. But now this happens..
About a week ago, my parents went on a business trip. Shorty after they left me to babysit my little brother, I was watching the news and I noticed a story that had the headline, "DEADLY ILLNESS OUTBREAK". I started to watch it to see what the issue was and noticed that they were practically talking about zombies. I've played enough Call of Duty Zombies to know what they'd look like and I also watched a lot of The Walking Dead as well so I knew symptoms. I thought it might just blow over in a few days, thinking it was way too early for the zombie apocalypse to start. Maybe they were just assuming, maybe they were just trying to scare us.
Just out of safety, and my paranoia, I had packed bags with food and clothes and asked my boyfriend to come over with a bag packed for him with weapons and shit. He came over when my little brother fell asleep, and he stayed the night. I put his bags next to ours and after checking the news again and making sure everything was locked one last time, I checked the time. It was about 11:30 pm and I decided I should probably get to bed.
When I walked into my room I saw Parker laying there on my bed. He looked so cute when he slept... I couldn't help but smile.. His face so sweet and tranquil as he laid limp on the soft bed. I climbed up onto the bed and slipped in next to him, trying to cuddle up next to him. He stirred in his sleep wrapping his arms around me and I gently nuzzled my head under his chin falling into a deep sleep as he did.