"Thank you," I breathe softly.

The words have barely enough time to pass by my lips when the lights above us flicker before turning off completely. With a fluttering heart, I tightly grip Tai's hand, suddenly unable to see him in the darkness.

"It's okay, it's likely just a power outage," Tai says gently, although I don't miss the edge to his voice. Shakily, we stand, my fingers entangled in his. The entire time I have been here, there hasn't been an outage, and there is no bad weather outside to suggest why there may suddenly be one.

The drape of silence over the manor seems suddenly interrupted by the sound of distant scream, all echoing throughout the empty hallways from downstairs. Tai's grip tightens on my hand.

"That doesn't sound like a normal power outage," I say shakily.

Without letting go of me, Tai reaches into his nightstand, fumbling around until suddenly I can see, the candle Tai having just lit balanced in it's silver holder, it's small flame offering a small amount of reprieve from the heavy darkness.

"Rebels," Tai murmurs lowly, the light casting looming shadows, creeping into each deep contour of his face. "They are breaking in."

"Are you sure?" I question, unable to reign in my shaky voice.

"Yes, this is a common tactic they use, so they can get in and out without being noticed, while disorientating their targets," Tai explains, nodding at me to follow him. I do so, our feet padding across his carpeted floor, accompanying the sound of the distant screams, which only seem to be getting closer. I hadn't thought the rebel presence had enough power to completely invade the castle...Especially tonight. Tai doesn't seem to be questioning where his guards are, since none of them have entered to protect him against the nearing threat.

On the other side of the room, Tai suddenly kneels down, resting the candle-holder down as he digs the tips of his fingers into the carpet, not stopping until a crack sounds in the floor, a small wooden door pulling up to reveal a dark casam in the floor.

"What is this?" I ask nervously.

"For emergencies. Every royal has to have something similar," Tai explains, shining the candle down to reveal a set of concrete steps which continue into the darkness. Exchanging glances with Tai, I know I have no other choice but to step down into his under-the-floor bunker.

Tai follows me closely down the steps, the flickering edge to the light guiding me until we reach the bottom. The area is small, wooden shelves stuck against the concrete walls stacked with a variety of supplies. Whatever this place is, a single person could survive in here for a while...Long enough to wait out an attack from rebels.

"It's cold in here," I note, rubbing my arms as I sit down on a short bench, watching Tai pace in front of me, checking everyone is in order.

Setting the candle in front of me, he pulls his jacket off his shoulders, handing it to me. "It will have to do. Not many people know about this."

I watch him carefully, hugging the jacket to me. How can he be so calm?

"What will happen if they find us?" I question, unsure if I truly want to answer. I can make a few guesses, and none of them will include us making it out of here unharmed. Tai's expression is a mask of impassive calm as he rolls his shirt sleeves up, becoming that stoic King in an instance. Panicking is not the remedy to this, as much as I want to. My limbs quiver, fear having wrapped tightly around my heart, leaving me near breathless.

"It will likely be just a scare tactic. I wouldn't worry," he replies.

I can't swallow past a lump in my throat, wondering if Tai knows more about why they are here than he is letting on. "Do they want what you're hiding?"

He pauses, his eyes a dark forest green.

"Sorry?"

"You're hiding something. It was enough for you to close off that access to the province, so it has to be important," I murmur, tucking my arms around me, unable to decide whether the cold or Tai's secrets are bothering me the most at this moment. Tai assured me he didn't want me too involved in the politics of his world, but now that I am to be his wife, I need to know.