The debate

Peter wasn't exactly worried about the debate. It was supposed to be in the auditorium since it was apparently on high demand. The academic Decathlon team was put against each other. Peter, Ned and Abe were in the same team while Flash, Sally and Cindy were in the other team. Peter's team was supposed to defend Team Iron man. And Flash's team was against them. Peter didn't mind since he was ever ready to prove that his not-dad was right, even if you asked him in the middle of the night when he was shot and stabbed and on verge of unconsciousness. He may or may not have actually done that.

      Peter's Spidey sense was tingling all day and it was getting louder and louder with the passing of time. He figured it was just another warning of a big thing for later.

      He was talking to Ned about the way the  avengers, new and rogue, were on some tour thingy that day when MJ announced the debate would start with Flash's team. Sally said, "Mr. Stark shouldn't have taken a whole team of heroes to Germany. I mean, come on, if he wanted to talk, he won't have brought the team." Peter ignored the loud cheers in favor of focusing on Ned,"So? What if the other team had decided to not talk with words but fists? Mr. Stark would be all alone in that. He took it as a precaution." "He manipulated Spiderman into going with him. Spiderman would know not to trust a drunk." Flash said. Peter didn't even waste a second, "Eugene, seeing as you don't know Spiderman personally, we can't know if you're right or not. And about manipulating him? Spiderman has brains, Eugene. He is not a 4 year old running for his toys. He knows what he's doing. And Mr. Stark has been sober for 5 years. He is not a drunk and I can assure you, he is a better person than anyone occupying this room."

       "You would know, won't you Parker? Your fake intership must be wonderful as you know Stark." Peter closed his eyes and counted to five. He then said in an ice cold voice,"Thompson, you can say anything about me but this debate is not about me and you. It's about earth's best defender."

       Cindy said, "The Mandarin issue escalated because of Mr. Stark." Abe was quick to say,"If it hadn't been for him, the Mandarin would be still here and we would all be feeling threatened. He took it all on himself and shielded us." "He did that for his ego!" A shout came from the stands. It was a bit familiar and his Spidey sense had flared at it, so he thought that this was just another robber he had defeated or something.

      Peter looked at the direction sharply and said,"We six are the ones debating. Please do not poke your unusually large nose in other people's business." There was stunned silence because the nerd, the quiet boy, the most polite boy and the teacher's favourite kid, Peter Parker had just said that.

     Peter turned to Eugene. He said,"If Mr. Stark hadn't flew that damed nuke in the cursed wormhole in 2012, we'd probably be dead right now and would have had his posters all over the world because that's what we do. We drag people, the best ones too, through the mud and when they die, we worship them. Mr. Stark might not be perfect but he's a great person because believe it or not, that day, Mr. Stark could have left that nuke like that. He could have flown away to a safer and quieter place before the nuke would go off but he didn't. He thought more and ahead and then went to sacrifice his own life for that of us. The people who are right now calling him a drunk and irresponsible man. He gave his own money to repair the damages the avengers did even when he wasn't obligated to. So, Tony Stark is a great man and probably the best man to walk on earth and defend it."

      Cheers followed his speech and he thought he heard,"Kid" in there. He turned to look but of course Mr. Stark wasn't there. He was on some important tour thingy. He turned back to find his team and even MJ smiling slightly at him while the other team was downcast and Eugene eas fuming.

        "Parker, you better watch your words." He said. Peter looked at him and said,"Yeah. I did. And you know what, Thompson? They are all right. Every word." The who auditorium was silent. Then a sniffle caught his ear. He turned around and looked only to find the avengers, old, rogue, new; all staring at him along with Pepper Potts and Harley Keener. The sniffle was from Pepper. He could tell by looking at her but then noticed Flash was saying something.