Ch.2 - Have a Good Day

Start from the beginning

This uncomfortableness was lost on Kylo. This was exactly his plan and if anything, he was pleased that it had actually worked, that he had actually, literally, ran into you.

"I'm glad that I ran into you, actually" He started as if it were a surprise, "I've been feeling weird about our dinner." He now had your full attention.

"What do you mean? Food poisoning? They make pills that'll help that, you know." You couldn't help yourself. It was a form of self defense to resort to humor when you were uncomfortable, regardless of your audience.

A beat, a smirk from Kylo. He shook his head. "No...I hope I'm not out of line even bringing it up again," He feigned concern, "When I offered you that contact at the Art Institute...I sensed some tension between you and Hux. I've been worried that I caused a fight or something." He told you bluntly. His eyes were calculating, searching your face for whatever emotion you were going to try and hide from him.

You had practice with putting on a poker face, though. Inside, your stomach dropped but on the outside you were calm. "You didn't. Why would that start a fight? You were trying to help." You responded. Your fingers pulled at the strings from your backpack, wondering if it would be acceptable to just run away like you really wanted to.

The motion of your backpack caused Kylo to actually look you over, albeit discreetly. When you were at dinner, you had on a designer dress and heels. Now in front of him, you looked like every other college student roaming the streets. Well...every other college student who Kylo wanted to push against the wall and completely ruin but that was besides the point. He liked seeing you like this, he noted, you were human instead of just an idea.

"You're right...I might've looked into it a little too much..." Kylo trailed off, raising an eyebrow at you.

You shrugged, looking at him only for a moment before turning your attention back on the crowded sidewalk. It was clear that you weren't going to budge.

Grasping for something that would get your attention again, Kylo sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I saw you crying."

Your eyes snapped back to him, your jaw rigid. You opened your mouth to say something but quickly closed it. You wanted to deny it, give him evidence that he saw wrong or give him an excuse. But his unwavering gaze let you know that you weren't going to be able to charm your way out of this. He felt guilty and wanted answers, real answers, you thought.

You sighed and looked back to the sidewalk. You wanted to join the crowd and be swallowed in it again. "Do you..." You started, then questioned in your mind if it was a good idea or not. You already started asking so you continued, "Do you want to get lunch somewhere really quick? I was going to grab something to eat before class started again."

Kylo bit his tongue to hold back the grin that was inching its way on his lips, this was exactly his plan; get you alone. "Sure, that would be better."

Soon, the two of you had coffee and pastries in front of you. There were enough coffee shops downtown that the two of you were able to be pretty secluded, the closest table was far enough away that no one would be able to hear your conversation but not far enough that they felt too intimate. You would've rather be in that mob of people while Kylo would've rather had them by themselves.

You picked at the food in front of you, not eating it. You felt awkward again, what were you guys supposed to be doing? It felt wrong somehow. He had been the one who started the conversation and now he was staying silent. Clearly, he wanted you to be the one doing the talking.