「Chapter Five」

Chapter Five

Flared Jeans and sad eyes didn't exactly go well together, but Dawn wore both none the less. She was tired and silent and scared. Nerves flowed through her veins as the day had finally approached, the day she had been dreading all summer long.

The first of September.

Her final year at Hogwarts was just moments away, and she stood, quiet, eyes welling ever so slightly with tears she always had angrily pushed to the back. There was loud chatting around her, of kids as young as eleven and as old as seventeen. Bodies pushing past her on their way down the station, some kids to meet their friends they hadn't seen all summer long. She, on the other hand, was terrified.

"Dawn," a brush of her hand and her mother's warm smile entered her vision. Her dad was teary-eyed for her, scared for his little girl. He knew the pain she was going through, tried to keep his mouth tightly shut all summer long as she tried to find her own sense of peace, but he almost slipped up once or twice, "please...write to us every day."

Dawn nodded, taking a deep breath, "I will, mum. I promise."

"If you want to come home..." her dad trailed off, taking a deep breath of his own, "If you want to leave, Dawn. You tell us, and we will come to get you."

"I don't think that's allowed, dad." She forced a smile; her lips had tugged ever so slightly, but she still had to force it.

"I don't give a damn if it's allowed, they can't keep my baby girl if she doesn't want to be there!" he all but exclaimed, and it didn't take Dawn more than a second until she had tightly wrapped her arms around him. She loved her parents more than anything. They didn't know how much they had helped her, but to them, both thought they hadn't done enough.

"Look, Dawn," Allie, her mother nudged her, "there's Elsie!"

Allie waved to Elsie just down the station from where they stood, beckoning the girl to come over so they could say goodbye to her. As much as the girl was much different from what they thought Dawn to be, she was there for the girl all summer long. Dawn needed a friend in school, and Jasper wasn't there anymore.

Dawn's stomach dropped when Elsie looked right at them, and then a moment later, her eyes glanced away, and she turned in the opposite direction to greet her Hufflepuff friends. She sighed, trying to push down the pit in her stomach. Hufflepuff's were loyal after all, Dawn thought, but maybe to only the ones they truly cared about.

Dawn believed that Elsie was only friends with her for the summer and that was it, she had now just proved that to be true. She knew Elsie's friends; they weren't precisely the rebellious type, but then she didn't think that about Elsie either. Dawn wondered if Elsie maybe wanted to keep that a secret, and she would keep that secret for her.

Considering she had decided to never speak to her ever again.

"Well then," Allie tutted, "you're going to have a great year, Dawn. I know it."

Dawn practically scoffed, "I think at this point, it'll be a good year if I don't die."

"Don't say that honey," her dad sighed, his arm around her and giving her another tight hug, "you'll have a great time, we promise. I don't care what any old grey wizards have to say, if we want to come get our daughter then we will!"