"Dinner at seven, I'll send a car." Hux said, the way he said it made you believe that he was stressed about it, "We will be... Um," He was trying to think of the way to word it. This was strange, even if it wasn't the right thing to say, he usually always had something to say.

You squinted at the painting in front of you, straining to figure out what he wanted to say.

"I've told you about Kylo Ren, haven't I?" Hux finally settled on. The disgust in his voice was not lost on you.

You picked at some dried paint on your easel, remembering.

You didn't have an extensive knowledge of the structure of Hux's work but he tried explaining things to you once before. You knew that Snoke was the main boss and that he had many people working under him, following his every order. Hux wasn't the man directly under him, he was more of an off shoot of power. Hux was supposed to be Snoke's mediator, he was the one who communicated with the cops and politicians, made sure that all of the people working under Snoke were in line and loyal. Snoke came to Hux for advice and relied on him to keep the peace.

Kylo Ren was...the man directly under Snoke? The underboss, he was called, you remembered. He would be the one replacing Snoke if he were to be killed or put into prison. Kylo had the most power out of everyone besides Smoke himself. When Kylo had first went away to conduct business in a more secluded area, you had just started dating Hux. You remembered how smug your boyfriend had been. He was convinced that Kylo wasn't coming back and that if Kylo were out of the picture, it was possible that Hux could become the underboss if Snoke allowed him to. Clearly, Hux would not be pleased that he was back home.

You picked a chunk of black paint of off the wood, frowning.

"You've mentioned him, I think." You said casually, knowing that this wasn't the time or place to get into details. It's not as if Hux would tell you anyways unless he had a few drinks before.

Hux was silent for a moment, judging if you were being honest or just trying to move the conversation along. Regardless, he continued, "Well, he's been away for over a year, doing business away from Snoke to not raise suspicion from the cops here, I know I've told you that...He is back in town now. We'll be going to dinner with him tonight to welcome him back." He explained.

Your frown deepened. You were hoping for a shopping trip or a broadway show. Not a business meeting. "Are you sure I should be there? I mean...this seems..." You weren't sure how to finish that. It seemed like something you shouldn't be around for, like it was the mob's business, not yours.

You could hear Hux let out a small chuckle, "Honey, I want you there. Besides, he's bringing someone too. It will be casual. Two friends catching up." You knew this wasn't the case, Hux would never just go to dinner with friends. This was something else, clearly. But you knew better than to argue.

"Okay fine." You said with a smile, "I'll be there." As if you had a choice.

"Perfect, I'll see you then. Wear that black dress I like, you know the one." Hux said, some of the stress in his voice being replaced with smugness.

Your relationship with Hux was almost entirely transactional. You allowed him to show you off in front of all of the guys and he allowed you to live the lifestyle that you wanted. You often wondered what it would be like to be in a relationship with someone you genuinely loved but then you'd remember that your college and upscale apartment were paid for and you got everything you asked for...and suddenly the desire for love was out of the window.

"Whatever you want." You replied, knowing how to stroke his ego.

As you hung up, you heard someone clearing their throat next to you. Snapping your head towards the sound, you saw someone else, an other student, who had been painting in the art studio giving you a dirty look. Woops. "Sorry." You mumbled.