Silence

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters or the art. All the characters are the property of Haruichi Furudate. All the art is the property of the various artists. Author-chan out!

Oikawa stopped singing. "Iwa-chan? Iwa-chan! That's not supposed to happen," he worried. "He should be able to talk now. He's not supposed to pass out! What if I did it wrong? I could kill him!" 

Frantic, he checked Iwaizumi's heartbeat. "Still strong. Thank Asahi," he sighed. "But what are we going to do now?" He caressed the spiky haired male's face lovingly. Even asleep, his features were twisted with agony.

Eventually, Hajime woke up. He felt calmer now, detached from the world. His eyes flickered open. Tooru gasped and clutched his hands. "Iwa-chan?!"

He nodded. Duh. Who else would I be?

Tooru wet his lips nervously. "Can… can you talk?"

Iwaizumi opened his mouth, but only silence resulted. A long, piercing, mournful cry of a seagull echoed out over the sea. Iwaizumi smiled sadly. That bird sounds the way I feel.

Oikawa hugged him. "I'm so sorry, Iwa-chan. I tried to heal your voice, I really did. Can you make any other sounds? Try to growl at me."

Hajime rumbled deep in his throat, but the pain was excruciating. He stopped instantly. 

His hands twitched. He sat up. "Iwa-chan? What are you doing?" The surfer started to trace letters in the sand. Tooru clapped excitedly. "Great idea! You can write to me!" Iwaizumi just kept moving his fingers. Words took form.

What happened?

"I found you floating in the sea. Shark attack, I guess. I healed the bites with magic, but I don't know why you can't talk! It should work!" Oikawa told him.

Throat hurts.

"I know, I'm sorry. Magic doesn't exactly take the pain away. More like it speeds up the natural healing process. Iwa-chan, if I could take your pain away, I would."

It's okay. Hajime hesitated for a moment, then kept writing.

I should go to a human doctor.

"Could they help?" Tooru asked, hopeful.

Maybe.

"I'll go with you!" The merman said impulsively. Iwaizumi smacked him.

NO! Too dangerous. The surfer shook his head violently. He kissed Oikawa on the cheek and pulled back, gripping his shoulders.

"But Iwa-chan!" 

Hajime kissed him on the lips. He looked at him intently, wishing he could tell him with his own words how much he loved him. Instead, he wrote in the sand. I love you. And because I love you, I have to go alone. 

"But-" Hajime whacked him lightly on the arm. No buts, he thought, trying to get the message across. Tooru seemed to understand. He nodded slowly.

"I'll swim with you," he said. Iwaizumi started to shake his head. "No, not all the way," Oikawa said quickly. "Just for an hour. I can help the boat go faster. That will help you get a human doctor more quickly!"

Hajime nodded, his face grim. They hurried to the dock. Tooru saw the milk bread he'd brought but ignored it for Hajime.

The spiky haired male got his sea kayak into the water and climbed in. He set off. Tooru swam behind him, propelling the kayak while he steered. Together, they made excellent time. All too soon, they neared the mainland.