5-New Data

Ok, so...Up to this point at least, this is the longest chapter...Anyway! The cast, as it stands, is:

Phoenix Jensen - Zooey Deschanel

Ahli Jordan - Sarah Chalke

Drake Capelli - Alex Band

Francis Kelly - Romeo Nightingale

Liam Kelly - Daniel Radcliffe

Feel free to suggest some people to fill the rest of the roles and some pairings! In fact, please do...

~Saya

-----

5- New Data

The crime scene was brightly lit when our two vehicles rolled up. A dozen or so men and dogs milled around, and the crime scene tape held back a crowd of onlookers. Mixtures of horror, shock, fear, and interest showed on every face in the glare of the artificial lights.

Sirens blared, nearly covering the collective muttering. Every now and again, a man would call out to another. Car doors, including our own, slammed, adding to the din.

"What are they doing?" Francis growled, almost to himself, "There's too many men; they're contaminating the scene!"

Taking charge, he strode into the crowd. Glancing up at Mihael and Ahli, I followed. The others followed me, but we stopped at the tape. Only Laurent followed Francis past, his jacket rustling against the tape as he passed underneath.

"Alright, who's in charge here?" Francis demanded, an edge to his voice. He strode purposefully up to the first officer he encountered. Laurent trailed at a more leisurely pace, his hands shoved deep into the pockets of his jeans.

"I-I'm sorry, sir, civilians have to stay behind the..." his stuttering voice trailed away under Francis' fierce golden glare.

"I asked you who's in charge," Francis repeated, his voice low and deadly. He flashed his badge.

The intimidated officer pointed and Francis swept past him. Laurent gave the man a toothy but reassuring grin as he passed. Ahli and I exchanged a glance, our eyebrows raised. Someone needed anger management classes.

"Maybe I should go remind him to stay calm..." Sora fretted, readjusting the khaki newsboy cap on his head.

"Nah, Laurent's got it covered," Drake assured him, resting a hand on the kid's shoulder.

Despite his encouraging words, worry gnawed at me, creating a knot in the pit of my stomach. I leaned over the tape as far as I could, craning my neck around as I tried to catch a glimpse of my friends. A gentle hand on my wrist brought me back to myself and I turned, only to find myself looking directly into Enrique's steady, dark eyes.

"Relax," he said simply.

He held my gaze until I gave in. Taking a deep breath, I nodded slightly and forced myself to relax. I couldn't help Francis, especially if I got worked up. Enrique didn't take his hand off my wrist, but I didn't move away either. Given the situation, the warmth was comforting.

A few of the cops and all the dogs left the scene a few minutes later in response to an order from their captain. I caught a glimpse of Francis and Laurent bending low over a still form covered by a sheet before the crowd shifted again, blocking my view. Without the extra men, things seemed to be running more smoothly. I breathed easier.

"See?" Enrique murmured, his warm breath ghosting across the shell of my ear. I simply nodded, suppressing an instinctive shiver.

Soon I spotted Laurent making his way towards us across the crime scene. I caught his fiery green eyes, biting my lip anxiously. His expression was dark, foreboding, and his eyes were bright with something like fear. My heart pounded in my throat and I shook violently. Enrique caught me as my knees gave out.