Chapter 7 | Burning Cards

"HOW are you?" iyan ang mga salitang lumabas sa bibig ni Neil mula nang magpunta kami sa rooftop para mag-usap.

Neil was once a cupid too, like me. But the only difference is, he surrendered his locket and became human two months ago.

I was not really planning to avoid him earlier but I just feel like there is no reason for us to talk or even greet each other because what are we supposed to talk about?

"I was still the same Hailee. How about you?" nilingon ko ang katabi at tumingala lang siya at mahinang tumawa.

Neil and I didn't talk much before as our previous work is as unfortunate and tiring as it is to expect that one of us will be delighted to catch up on each other.

Yet, he was in the same area from where I lived before so there were still times we saw each other and knew the little changes that happened in our lives. Most of the time, we just passed by each other, seeing the familiar hopelessness reflected in our eyes.

Seeing him laugh with joy at this moment, made me smile too as I know he deserves it. He was one of the kindest ones I've known.

"It feels a lot lighter being a human, you know," Neil looked at me. "You can choose who you love and I can become who I want to be in order to make my woman happy." he smiled and stared at the stars above.

I also looked towards the sky and saw how it is so clear to show us how the stars joined the huge moon in lighting up our night. I despised that view before as I feel lonely seeing the moon alone but now, I can only feel its serenity.

Like everything changes when you can't ask for more.

Then a question popped in my mind.

"But aren't you supposed to forget your memories as a cupid?" I asked him, my eyes are still fixated above.

Cupids who completed their quest can choose whether to free themselves from the burden of their memories and start anew or to surrender their locket and continue moving forward.

Neil chose the latter and I don't get why he would do so when he also despised being cupid before.

Looks like Neil saw the confusion written on my face and sighed.

"What can I do? I met her when I was still a cupid and I cannot bear to forget her. Not now when she only has years left to live."

Tinignan ko lang si Neil at may bahid ng kalungkutan na namutawi sa mga mata niya.

He then traced the stars above like he was drawing an image.

"I know how finding a soulmate works as I was a cupid once," He glanced at me and smiled. "But I'm not afraid anymore because I know we'll have each other's names on our cards."

Neil looks so assured and happy saying those and the certainty in his words made me smile too.

I know that it is not right but at that moment, I somehow envied him.

Neil was able to present himself to the one he loves without any lies and there is no reason for him to put up any facade. And with this limited time they have with each other, I am pretty sure they will make the most out of it.

No lies, no suppression of feelings, just pure joy for the moments they are able to share together.

"What about you? Do you have any guy? The one you're with earlier?"tanong niya sa akin.

Napakunot naman ako ng noo sa kanyang sinabi. Agad kong hinagilap sa utak ko kung sino ang tinutukoy niya nang maalala si Nathan.

Mabilis kong iwinasiwas ang dalawang kong palad at humagalpak ng tawa.