Chapter Fifteen

After the relative warmth of the library, the driving snow outside came as something of a surprise. Elevar was a northerner, and he was used to weather that would have been considered cold by any who hailed from other lands, but here, at the edge of the Sea of Ghosts, even he was quite out of his element. He came from the southernmost point at which one could properly claim the title of northerner, and the climate there was very, very different.

Snow crunched underfoot as he walked silently with Tira beside him. They didn't venture far from the library, as they were waiting for the others to come and meet back up with them, but they were both hungry. Several nearby places would surely be selling food, for, even late as it was (behind the dark gray clouds, it was clear that the sky was black), a city such as this always had someone wanting to eat. And, in such a busy place, wherever someone wants to buy something, it is usually the case that someone wants to sell it. Late-night food was no exception.

"So, you know where I'm from," Tira said, interrupting the cold wind's monologue. "What about you? Where are you from?"

"Alikstat," Elevar said. "It is--was, rather--a village to the south of Nerin."

"And do you miss home?"

"Alikstat hasn't been home to me in some time," Elevar said. It was a half-truth, but he was satisfied that it wasn't a true lie.

In the distance, a wolf howled.

The two runespeakers stopped walking, and Tira leaned against the wall of what appeared to be a store. The windows were dark, but faint voices could be heard inside. Elevar breathed in the cold. Tira did the same.

"It's beautiful here," Tira said.

"Yes," Elevar said, looking up at the darkened sky. The snow looked almost like ash as it fell, and it reminded him of the half lie he'd told a moment earlier. It reminded him of home...

"How long ago did you leave Alikstat?" Tira asked.

Elevar pursed his lips and looked away from Tira. He took a moment to decide if he should answer, but, eventually, he gave in. "More than a decade ago. I don't really know for certain. It took me awhile to start keeping track of days and years after...afterward."

Eyebrows furrowed, Tira pushed away from the wall. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked."

Still not looking at her, Elevar shook his head. "No, no. It's fine. You know that, during Alinrik's rebellion, Nerin was besieged by Boril's army, yes?"

"I don't really remember Alinrik's rebellion, to be honest. I don't really remember...I was a child, and the war never touched Ril."

"I was a child too," Elevar said. "And the war certainly did touch Alikstat."

When Elevar turned his head to look at Tira, he was met by a deeply concerned gaze. He stopped himself from telling the rest of the story, and she must have known better than to ask further questions. Still, the damage was done. He remembered it all now--something he always tried quite hard not to do.

He remembered Boril, only sixteen at the time--a young king, too young to carry the weight of a crown. Perhaps that was why Alinrik had tried to depose him, but Elevar had difficulty finding any reason in a noble's decisions that didn't come down to self-interest. Alrinrik had a claim to the throne. Boril's age and perceived weakness had been an excuse and nothing more.

But Boril was no better than Alinrik, for a better man would have stayed his weapon the morning before Elevar left Alikstat. Nobles didn't understand such principles, but commoners did. Commoners understood that even war did not justify all crimes.

During a siege, the besieging army must be fed. For logistical reasons, the food tends to come from the farms surrounding the fortress or city that was to be taken. The siege of Nerin was no different, and King Boril's scruples were no more advanced than those of any of his peers.

Commoners could commit atrocious crimes, but none like the crimes of a king. Certainly none like the burning of Alikstat, or the killing of the village's people. Elevar didn't let himself scowl, and he certainly didn't let himself cry.

Tira's eyes moved toward the library, still visible down the road, and lingered there for a moment. "I believe that's Brinna," she said, pointing toward the building.

Elevar turned to look. "I think that is Brinna," he said, pushing Alikstat out of his mind. "Come on. She'll be looking for us."