37 - Everything In Between

Start from the beginning

As if the strings holding him had snapped, Draken plummeted to his chair, head in his hands. Maro rested a hand on his shoulder. A gesture of forgiveness Draken felt he didn't deserve.

"I'm so, so sorry, Maro. I was an irresponsible man. And I raised my son to be just like me." He whispered through brimming tears and jittery fingers. 

"It's not your fault, Draken." Maro shook his head, sniffing back tears as well.

Draken clasped his roughened palm over Maro's less weathered hand. All through the exchange, Silvan Joplund kept watch on the fair-haired farmer. 

"Now that that has been dealt with, let's cut the pretense and get down to business, shall we, Draken Armorheim?" He steepled his fingers, smiling serenely.

The Crossetians whipped around, eyes bulging, just now fully aware of the three outsiders at the table.

Silvan creaked up a sly smile as his eyes zeroed in on Draken, who had just remembered his initial worry, now that the family feud was out of the way.

"You remember me, I believe?"

His eyes fixed upon his old foe, Draken resigned himself for his last. Drawing a deep breath, he nodded heavily,

"Yes, I do, Lord Coris Hadrian."

A pause, then the room erupted.

"Coris Hadrian?" Marcus cried.

"Th-th-th-the one you kidnapped in the Famine?" stammered Myron as he pointed at Coris with a trembling finger.

"The very same." said Lord Coris. Amid their horrified stares, he flourished his hand towards his companions, "This is my brother Zier, and my betrothed Arinel."

Marcus and Myron blinked at the now brown-haired Lady Arinel, then exchanged swift looks. Maro had more sense of priority, however,

"Does Meya know, my lord? Has she summoned us here on your orders?" He laid his clenched fist on the table, wide brown eyes and brown freckles standing out on his pale cheeks.

"Yes and no." Coris leaned back in his chair, "I believe she does know about our history, but isn't counting on me recognizing Draken, and vice versa."

Draken shook his head, eyes wide.

"What is going on, my lord? How have you come to know Meya?"

"It's a complicated and astonishing tale. One that makes me secretly glad Farmer Hild couldn't join us this evening." Coris replied,

"Arinel's entourage was held hostage by Nostran Greeneye mercenaries looking for a certain Hadrian treasure. Meya assumed Arinel's identity and wed me in her place to spy on me, but she had a change of heart, alerted me of the plan, and together we drove the mercenaries away. Yet, I'm sure this is far from over, so I have Meya remain in the masquerade to assist me."

"She—she wed you, my lord?" Maro squeaked, an incredulous look on his face. Coris blew a soft sigh of brewing annoyance,

"Yes."

"And did she—I mean, did you two—" Morel pointed one finger at the door, then another at Coris. Coris sighed again,

"Yes, we did. Multiple times." He added. Ignoring their flabbergasted reactions, he closed his eyes, tamped down his fit of pique, and turned to Draken, "You've guessed why I'm here, I presume?"

Draken clenched his shivering hands. As the children watched with bated breath, he touched his forehead to the tabletop.

"My lord. If it is my life you want, I am willing. All I ask is safe passage for Jason and the young ones, and that you spare those under my command that night."