Chapter 10

Jordan

"Okay. Just one more game but then you have to go to bed."
"Yay! I'm counting!" Avery squealed. "Go hide!"

I chuckled before walking away as Avery started calling a warped version of counting backwards from 20 for me to hide to.

Finding a snug hiding spot between a settee and a wall, I crouched down, pulling my phone out my pocket. I had a feeling it would take Avery a while to find me so I text Elijah.

What you up to?

I stared at the text for a while before actually sending it. I don't know what was putting me off clicking send, but there was an internal tug of war going off in my head. In the end, the impulse won out before the rational side had a chance to stop me.

I never got a reply to that text.

"Found you!" The little bundle of joy came bounding into my lap. "You're a rubbish hider!"
"Hey! Maybe your just too good a seeker!" Avery laughed. "Well Avery, I think that makes it bedtime."
"Aww...Okay..."
"Did you need me to help you?" She shook her head, brown ponytail waving wildly behind her. "Okay. I'll be up in a short while to tuck you in okay?"
"Okay."

I watched the 5 year old clamber up the stairs to her room on the top floor of the house, before I wandered into the kitchen to grab a drink of water.

The Smiths kitchen (if at all possible) was even more impressive than the rest of the house.
Everything was a stark, sparkling white with not a speck of dirt to be seen. There was a huge marble island and just nearby, a modern glass dining table with 8 white dining chairs.
I had to search for the glasses in one of the many cupboards but eventually found them amongst expensive looking wine glasses. But my next problem was the least expected thing I'd have ever thought I'd have a problem with: the water itself.
Adam had a water dispenser that dispenses sparking, cold, lukewarm and hot water- with or without ice. That was so mind blowing to my mind, that I ended up drinking water from the tap like I did everyday at home and on the streets. Legally free water is a lifesaver for people like me. I can't understand why people need so many options. When you don't have many choices, the ones you do have are so difficult to make.

Leaning against the countertop, I stared at the Smith's grand kitchen come diner. As a child I'd pictured myself with this extravagant life's, ever since watching Annie. Her story had inspired 9 year old me, but no matter how hard I've worked, I've not been handed that stroke of luck that Annie had been given.
I downed the water with a shake of my head. I'd just have to live with the fact that I wouldn't ever be like the Smiths and other upperclassmen, and I would never get a guy like Elijah. No one wants a guy like me.

...

"Did you want me to read you a bedtime story before you go to sleep tonight?" I poked my head round Avery's bedroom door. She was happily tucked up in bed with a toy penguin.
"Yeah! Read the tiger who came to tea! Please!"
"Okay okay. Scoot over." Grabbing the book off her bookshelf, I placed myself on the bed next to Avery. "Alright. Let's see, ah page 1." Avery snuggled down further, clutching the penguin to her chest. She was so sweet. Honestly, I'd love a little girl someday. "Once there was a little girl called Sophie." 

I read that book to Avery, doing the voices and trying to bring the book to life, and I could tell she was loving it.
"And he drank all the water out the tap. Then he said thank you for-" I looked up from the book when I noticed a presence in the doorway. Avery's mother was smiling at our interaction.
"Don't let me stop you Jordan. I know how much Avery loves this story." I returned to the book as Rae sat on the end of the bed.
"Then he said thank you for my nice tea. I think I'd better go now. And he went... and Sophie found she couldn't have a bath because the tiger had drunk all the water in the tap... we'll put on our coats and go to a cafe."

I finished off the book and placed it back on the shelf where I found it. Then I tucked Avery in her covers and wished her a good nights sleep. Leaving Rae to kiss her daughter goodnight, I found my way back downstairs and perched myself on the sofa, twiddling with my thumbs.
"Jordan."
"I'm sorry. I overstepped. I-"
"Jordan. Thank you. That was amazing. I came home early to see how you were getting on and I'm so impressed. No childminder has looked after Avery the way you have and I know for a fact Avery has loved having you here tonight. We'd love to have you back."
"Thank you. I've enjoyed looking after Avery too."
"Here's your pay, go enjoy your evening, I'll take it from here." She handed me 5 crisp £20 notes with a smile. This was at least double what I was expecting.
"This... this is too much."
"Hush. You deserve it. I'll talk to you soon about when we next need you. Thank you Jordan. You're a star."
"Thank you so much. Have a good evening Rae."

And I left that night with more money in my pocket then I'd earned in a whole day at my previous job. Maybe things were starting to look up.