Chapter 2

After making the same mistake twice, you'd think I would learn from them instead of tripping over the same rock. If you think so, then you're mistaken.

Her name was Elena Gilbert. Unfortunately, as much as I hate to admit it, Elena was Katerina's doppelganger. At first I didn't think it was possible, for I knew the Petrova bloodline ended with Katerina when she turned into a vampire. It turned out that Katerina had a 'child out of wedlock', as how she put it, and the child was given away to some random family because to her parents it was a great disgrace. And somehow, between the long lost bloodline, Elena was born as a Gilbert.

The day I saw her wasn't exactly a coincidence. I received a call from a man who was trying to connect me with his 'friends'. He said that there was something important to discuss. A gift for me.

See, after Katerina escaped Klaus was enraged. He thought I was the one who told Katerina about the ritual because he knew I felt something for her. He had sworn to make my life a living hell if I did not find Katerina. I failed to bring Katerina back to him for the ritual and he kept his promise. Everybody thought she was the last of her bloodline. So when she turned into a vampire, Klaus's only chance to break his curse vanished in an instant and he blamed me for it.

The truth is, it was Trevor who told Katerina about the ritual and also the creature we were. Klaus was blinded by his anger and selfishness. He was upset and he needed someone to blame. To pay for what I had allegedly done, Niklaus killed my brothers and sister. Since we are the Original Vampires, the only weapon left that could kill us is a silver dagger dipped in the ash of the ancient white oak tree. The weapon can only kill us temporarily, meaning the dagger has to stay plunged to our heart in order to keep us dead. If lifted up, we will regenerate and return back to life. To prevent me from undaggering them, Klaus scattered their body on the sea. He couldn't care less about our family, especially that he found out that we had different fathers, which was probably why he was able to kill them all that easily.

When I found out what he had done, I was furious. I hated him with all of my eternity. I wanted him dead. 'How could he do that to his own family?' That as what I had thought. All I ever wanted since then was to avenge my family's death. Niklaus had to pay. No matter what.

Well, when I received the call form the mysterious man, I found myself intrigued by the offer. The mysterious man told me that Trevor and Rosemarie wanted to strike a deal with me. I can only bet that it was about their freedom they never had, because I had been hunting them for the past five hundred years for the mistake they made--letting Katerina escape.

It wasn't really Rose's fault that Katerina escaped, it was Trevor's. Rose, I knew, was just being a good and loyal friend to Trevor that she was willing to keep running and hiding for half a millenium. I guess they finally realized their mistake. You can never run from an Original. What their gift was, I wondered.

The place they set up to meet was some miles out of Mystic Falls, the town where I last heard of Katerina. She was trapped in a tomb underneath a church. But I knew of Katerina's tricks. She loved playing games and that was why I did a little digging about her. Eventually, my assumptions checked out when I found out she was never trapped in the tomb in the first place.

Well played, Katerina, but not well enough.

A few days later, I went to meet the two of them, Rose and Trevor.

"Rosemarie," I greeted as I saw her. "Is there somewhere we can talk?"

"Y-yes, in here," she stuttered, gesturing to a deserted library in the mansion. "Y-you have to forgive the house."

"Oh, no," I smirked. "What's a little dirt? I completely understand." I picked some random books from the shelves and flipped it open, turning from one page to another without really paying attention to what it was reading. Looking around, I realized the windows have been sealed shut that no lights were allowed it. Oh, right, they did not have any daylight rings. How unlucky of them.