~31~ Frustrations

Start from the beginning

The door I now took a keen interest in led to the same, not-so dull drawing room...maybe I was that desperate.

"M'lady, is everything well?"

My gaze turns once again - my frame still for only a moment before I turned to face the two taller figures before me.
I feign a smile. "For someone in my situation...I suppose I am well."

"But..." Benedict coaxes for my continuation and I found the floor suddenly more interesting.

"I'm tired..." my words were barely heard even by myself. "I know, I am foolish to ask. But, may I please...have a moment to myself?"

Sean glances at his companion, who moved to fix his jacket - his head shaking in denial.

"We have direct orders not to leave you alone. And the last time-"

"Please- just a few moments alone, that is all I ask. I shouldn't even have to." I retort. "Shouldn't it be common courtesy?"

Sean smiles - a forced expression wanting to be genuine.
"M'lady, to be fair, your situation is a bit different. It is more...complicated."

"Complicated enough to not warrant a few moments of solitude?" I gesture towards the door behind me - my gaze unwavering.
"Watch the door if you feel it necessary...but please, at least consider it."

Silence was my answer for a few moments.

Sean had his attention turned to his taller companion, his head tilted with kind features and Benedict sighs - a stiff, silent sigh before his hand lifts just a little.

"I understand you want space- your position can't be that easy. However, it is not only your neck on the line." Another sigh signalled his torn thoughts.
"I'm giving you ten minutes. No more. No less. No exceptions. Alright?"

My lips twitch. "Ten minutes...thank you."

His calloused hand made a gesture to the door - and without wasting more than a second, I turn.

"We'll both be right here, ok." Sean speaks up in a more friendly tone - my frame spinning round to face the two beyond the threshold of the hallway and I nod as I shut the door, leaving only a small crack.

My breath stills with the exhale of the males I couldn't see.

I would've been proud if I didn't feel so skittish - my nerves surprised with their cooperation - and as if it were taunting me...the pieces of an unrelated idea began sliding together.

If only convincing the king himself was that easy of a task.

I step back, making my way to a couch nearby before my movements falter - my eyes drawing over the semi-long, pristine room before falling on the door at the other end.

Ten minutes...

Benedict gave ten gracious minutes of solitude...but I knew deep down...was my selfish need for more. More time. More feigned freedom.

I feel the fabric of my red hued dress between my fingers...

I wanted to try - find a way to show him I could trust her even if a small part of me still held the timid view of keeping my cards close. Of being safe and watching from afar rather than jumping into things.

Nine minutes and my thoughts felt suffocating.

A letter - maybe I could write her a letter -

I needed more time - to think over options or ways to sway his judgment.

My selfish need scratches the front of my mind and I exhale, shifting the skirt of my dress as I lean down to take off my heels.
Great care was taken in the air of silence. The muffled voices of soft spoken talk between the two soldiers and as I quietly step towards the other door, I hold my heels close.