Sean jerked her head around, almost spinning to the ground.

"Y-Yeah, t-that would be me."

"Mrs Lew has been moved to a new ward. You can go meet her now."

At the same time, all four of them stepped forward.

"...two visitors at a time please."

All halted.

Sean and Kylie sheepishly turned to look at Serris and Sarah, their eyes questioning.

"Geez, go ahead. Stop acting so weird. Call us when you're done." Serris pushed them both forward. "We'll stay here."

With matching wide grins, Sean and Kylie didn't wait a second more before hopping into the elevator.

Both of them were too tensed to even utter a word. So they remained silent as Sean fiddled with his shirt and Kylie keep shaking her leg.

"Did you get to talk to her after.... the incident?" Kylie whispered, her eyes boring holes in the elevator doors.

Sean's mind flashed an image of him hugging her so tightly that nurses had to come up to him to tell him not to injure her further. But Kaycee brushed them off and proceeded to fall into his arms again, snuggling into him, exhaustion luring her in.

Her silence and proximity allowed Sean to examine her while she lay on his chest. Her bruised head, swollen finger, torn clothes ignited a raging fire in his chest to protect her forever. He had failed to do so this time but from now he never wanted to experience the anxiety and hollow fear engulfing him when she was nowhere to be seen.

"Yeah..... she didn't say much and looked really tired and exhausted."

"Poor baby." Kylie whispered sadly. "If I knew he was going to do this, I would've sliced him in half."

"Not to intrude or anything....," Sean started, his tone unsure. "...but it looks like both of you knew him? How?"

His eyes rose up to Kylie's face, who immediately avoided his eyes.

"That's not my story to tell. Besides, I'm sure you would rather hear it from Kaycee."

The elevator dinged, breaking both of their attention.

As soon as the doors were open wide enough, both of them bolted.

"Room 142.... she's in room 142."

"There! It's there."

As they reached the door, Sean paused, making Kylie bump into him.

"Wha-? Sean why'd you stop suddenly?" She said annoyed, rubbing her forehead.

"Do you... do you think she's angry at me?"

"What?" Kylie stood there dumbfounded.

"I.... I failed to keep my word. She's probably-"

"Okay dumbass I don't have time for this. Ask her. But I will say you're stupid." She swerved past Sean to open the door.

"Yes, thank you very-"

Upon hearing the door chime, Kaycee's eyes averted to look towards the source of the squeal and saw a sad smiling Sean coming through the door.

She probably would've seen Kylie too if Kylie hadn't ran at the speed of the wind to hug her.

"Hii- oof!"