Chapter 8: Burning Bridges

Start from the beginning

Needle relaxed. It had been a really long time since the whole fiasco with Firey, and she was really glad that he had gotten over it. From now on, she could enjoy a nice lunch with the one she had risked so much for. Just looking at him gave her a giddy feeling.

"So, you mind explaining what's going on between you two?" Coiny  murmured.

"Oh, with Firey?" 

"Who else would it be?"

"I guess so. It's nothing much, just some stupid old rivalry."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, in high school we were both in the finals for a running event, and I won."

"That's it?" Coiny sounded skeptical.

"Well, it may have caused him to lose out on a scholarship for university that was worth $7,000. And ever since then we constantly slapped each other."

"Slapping, really?" He giggled to himself.

Needle realized how dumb and childish it sounded, and laughed too. It had been so long that, at the time, it was perfectly acceptable to walk up to someone and just slap the life out of them. Technically, people could still do it. Not like he'd allow it, Needle remembering what her father had said after her championship in the race.

"Moving on, what did you end up doing with the scholarship?" Coiny wondered, snapping out of the chuckle.

Needle suddenly faded into a scowl. "Nothing."

"You didn't go to college?"

"I did, just not with the scholarship money. After all, why would you engage in barbaric physical exertion when you could become a proper young woman?" She retorted in a near-perfect imitation of Mr. Needy's accent.

"Wait, I'd recognize that voice anywhere! That means," he contemplated about it for a bit, "Oh my mint, you're the daughter of Mr. Needy?"

Several heads turned at the notion, going from looks of annoyance to looks of shock. Then they just went back to their meals.

"I am so sorry for not recognizing you, Needle- I mean, Ms. Needy!" Coiny corrected.

Something ticked inside her at that point. Maybe it was the overly saturated dining space, maybe it was the shine from Coiny, maybe it was the recent encounter with Firey. Most likely, however, was Coiny's new name for her. Ms. Needy. Needy. The last thing she wanted to be known as was Mr. Needy's daughter; to be associated with the man that ruined her life. And in a moment of newfound territory, she did something that would most certainly become important later on.

"DON'T CALL ME NEEDY!" She yelled, whipping her round hand across Coiny's face, creating a sound like hammering a nail.

The loud noise had caused even more objects to turn their heads, examining what the child of the richest man in Yoyleland had done. Some of them even let out a yelp. Needle glared at them, and soon all of them decided to turn away. After all, being related to such a powerful person still had its perks, not that Needle enjoyed using them.

She looked back at Coiny, who seemed unfazed by the aggressive response. Had she ruined her chances of forming a meaningful relationship with him?