She leaned her head onto my shoulder.

I smirked,

"You know, this reminds me of your first mission, when we sat together just like this... and you leaned your head onto my shoulder, just like that."

I felt her smile.

Days later, we arrived in the Earth Kingdom city of Omashu, but it was much worse that I had thought, it was almost as though there was civil war taking place, my troops marched in but we were met by a lot of resistance.

When marching through the streets of the city, many of us were attacked by Earth Kingdom citizens, some of them put up a good fight, but overall they did no damage to any of my troops.

We were prepared to negotiate new rules with whoever was in charge of the city, well, Y/N would probably be the one negotiating, but it was still on my behalf. I was confident with our odds, but we weren't prepared to be met by an army of earth bending rebels who blocked our way to the minister.

Skilled earth benders hurled rocks at us, crushed us in cracks in the earth and pounded us with rocks shooting out of the ground, sending us flying.

Y/N left me to aid an injured soldier as I held off the earth benders attacking us.

It was chaotic.

The city filled with smoke and dust, it was like everyone had lost their minds.

I blocked attacks and fought back, but at some point we'd become outnumbered, boulders were flying everywhere and many of my soldiers were falling through giant cracks being made in the ground.

Suddenly, I felt an overwhelming impact crash into my head, I fell to the ground and everything was blurry, and voices became muffled, I pulled the weight of my arm to touch my head, it was wet, I guess that was my blood.

Y/N's POV
My head snapped around as I watched Iroh fall to ground.

"IROH! NO!"

I pulled the water from the ground and sent the attacking earth benders around me flying backwards before rushing towards Iroh as tears flew backwards from my face.

I fell to my knees and brought his head to my lap, cupping his cheek, he held onto my hand and murmured,

"Y/N? Is that you?"

"Hey, hey, it's okay. I'm going to fix you."

I pulled the canister from my backpack and pulled water into one of my hands, holding it over Iroh's wound.

As I began healing him, he coughed,

"No, no, there's no time. I have to get back up there."

He struggled but tried pulling himself up but I pushed him back down,

"No, don't be stupid, Iroh. Let me heal you."

A rock came flying at us but I pulled the rest of water from my canister with my free hand and froze it before dropping it and shooting icicles back at the bender who sent it to us.

A tear fell from my cheek and landed on Iroh's forehead as I continued to heal him,

"Are you- are you crying, Y/N?"

I wiped my eyes with my freehand before defensively muttering,

"No, no I'm not."

He sighed,

"I'm fine, you know."

"You're not fine! You have blood coming out of your head! That is not fine!"

His eyes widened and he pulled me down towards him, I felt a boulder fly right over my head and I gasped,

"How did you..."

He weakly smiled at me before closing his eyes.

"Iroh! Don't you dare close your eyes, stay with me, okay?"

He forced his eyes open,

"Y/N... You know I love you so much, right?"

"I love you too, Iroh."

"That's good..."

He winced in pain.

"Just, stay with me, okay? I just need a few more minutes."

He slightly nodded as I continued to heal his wound.

I should never have left him without cover. He's the general, of course they'd come for him.

Now, I'm sat with his head in my lap as he bleeds, and I don't even know if I can heal him.