I spent the remainder of my night in the kitchen playing with him. He did most of the playing. I merely defended myself against his antics.

Well, at least he's not lashing at me for no reason. That must means he no longer takes his anger out on everyone, right? I yawn
"You okay?" he asks.
"I'm fine."
"You look sleepy."

Well isn't he Mister Obvious. Considering the reason I am sleepy, I annoys me that he dares to say that. "Yeah, I'm a bit tired. I haven't been able to sleep well because of these jerks who moved in next door to me that constantly argue all night and keep me up-" I trail my words as if I just realized I'm talking to my jerk neighbor about my jerk neighbor. "Oops!"

The elevator dings again, the doors open on ground level. I walk off quickly, but not so quickly that it looks like I'm trying to escape. I hear him mumbling behind me, but I ignore it. Out the front door and across the street I go, never looking back the entire time. Hopefully he would take a hint. Hopefully.

There is no need for me to drive to work. My job is only four blocks away. Sometimes the distance is too short. I like walking, and when the weather is nice, it makes for a really relaxing stroll. Today is one of those really nice stroll days.
"Still as fast as ever," I hear behind me, one block later.
My eyes open wide, then narrow. My lips pierce. But I don't turn around to look at him. No way. "Still following me," I toss over my shoulder.
He stands beside me. "You were the one that followed me," he looks down, "remember?"

The sound that erupts from my throat is feminine in no way at all, but I don't care. My laughter alone is evidence to how insane I found that statement. No, I don't remember I never followed him. I had done some silly things back then when we first met, things that now made me want to hide my face from public, but I never followed him. I think...? Honestly, it's been so long I can hardly remember. But even if I had, I would not admit it now.

The light changes. It's safe to cross the street. As I step off the curb, he steps.
"Where're you going?" he asks.
I nod forward. "I work at the hospital."
"Then I'll walk with you," he replied.
You're already doing that, I want to say, but don't because that would make me sound childish. Not that I started this day off very mature. "Why are you going there?" I say instead.

"Physical."
"Oh!" my brow arches. "Something wrong?"
He shakes his head. "Yearly requirement for my job."
"But why are you going to main hospital and not the clinic?" I point down the other street where the family medicine branch is located.

He hunches his shoulders. "I don't know. This is where we always come."
Feeling no need to question him any further, I continue the remaining two block walk in silence. Or I would have had he not pull on the brim of my jacket again.
"Why are you doing that?" a hint of agitation present in my voice.
"I never saw you in a skirt before," he says with a smile.
I look down at my legs and ponder that for a moment. "Yes, you have."
"No, I haven't."
"That day we first met I had on a skirt." He frowns, clearly not recalling. "It was a jean one, knee length, had a split that ran up the back."
He shakes his head.

I try to recall another time but there isn't one. I solemn were dresses and skirts. Growing up with only an older brother to play with made me a bit of a tom-boy. A stage in my life that I clearly was still in back then. "Whatever."
"Why do you even remember that?"
"I remember a lot of useless stuff. It's part of my charm."
He laughs. He actually laughs at me, not with me. I scowl in return.
One block remaining. "How do you like your apartment?"
"I don't," he replies instantly.
I'm taken aback. I love my apartment. Everyone who lives there loves their apartment. "Then why move there?"
"Tara wanted to."

The same bitterness I heard in Tara's voice when she first introduced herself and him to me is also in his voice.
"And what Tara wants, Tara gets," he finishes.
I laugh. "You sound resentful, but I bet you like spoiling her."
He shoots me that is enough to stop me in my tracks. Apparently, I'm wrong. But still... "How long have you two been--"
"Too damn long," he cuts me off before I even had the chance to finish my sentence.
"Must be wonderful."
"Don't ever get married."