Chapter 9

Present day

I sobbed into Dom's chest. He didn't say anything while I told him my story and I was thankful for that. He just held me close to his body, even though I'm still soaking wet. This is why I always go swimming here. To remind myself where I once stood and where I am now. "You know...", I said wiping my tears away, "This was the first time I told anyone. It really does help talking about the things that bother you, even if you don't want to and the memory rips you apart." "Yeah, that's why my mom made me see a therapist.", said Dom, stroking my back. "I first thought too, that talking was useless. But by talking you already take action. So if you ever have any other problems, feel free to tell me everything. That's what boyfriends do." I looked in his beautiful stormy eyes. Our faces came closer and Dom placed a gentle kiss on my lips. I grabbed his hoodie and pulled him closer. I pressed my lips onto his. This was a sensation I've never felt before. My emotions were going crazy and I felt my fangs grow. But that didn't stop Dom. He forced his tongue inside my mouth and wrapped it around mine. A slight moan escaped my throat. I wrapped my arms around Dom and pulled his warm body as close to mine as I could. "Dom!", I wheezed. Suddenly felt a warm liquid in my mouth. I froze. "Dominic, your tongue...", I began but Dom shushed me. "Doesn't matter.", he whispered and continued to kiss me. My whole body shook. His blood was sweet dripping down my throat where it was absorbed by my body. He was delicious. And what freaked me out was that I wanted more. He was like a drug. And that I was blood starved didn't make things better. I wanted to drill my fangs into his skin and take everything I could. But before I could hurt him I pushed him away and backed off. My breath was heavy and I clawed my hands into the sand underneath me. Dom looked at me confused. "What's wrong Matty?", he asked and wiped some of his blood off his lips. I kept staring at the sweet red liquid dripping from his face. "I can't control my thirst... You're like a drug to me, your scent, your touch... It draws me in...", I stuttered, my glance still fixed on his face. He looked at me with pain in his eyes. "I'm so sorry Matt... I should've stopped...", he whispered and slowly shifted in my direction. But suddenly an awful smell penetrated my nose and I heard the noise of cracking branches in the bushes around the lake. "Stay there!", I shouted at Dom and jumped up.

A man in ripped clothes, long greasy hair and glowing red eyes stumbled through the bushes. He inhaled sharply through his nose. Then he smiled coldly. "The boss was right, there is another rare blood in this city.", he said to himself and looked around. His glance stopped at Dominic and he slowly walked towards him. "I swear if you touch him...", I hissed, grabbing the man's arm. The man turned his head and grinned at me. "I'm afraid I'll have to relieve you of your little snack. A rare blood doesn't belong in hands of puppies like you." He grabbed me and threw me far away from the two. I saw how Dom tried to run but of course, a human can't outrun a vampire. I landed with my face in the sand and instantly picked myself up again. The other vampire held Dom in a tight grip. I heard my boyfriend scream and I couldn't bear to see him like that. I didn't want to be weak anymore. My body started to move on its own. I felt a wave of power running through my veins and some sort of electricity formed itself around my body. In the blink of an eye I had the vampire drawn away from Dom and I lay on top of him on the ground. He must have been as surprised as me, because he didn't move at first. And that was when my instincts kicked in. Before I noticed it, I had my fangs in the man's neck. I've never bitten someone before, not even another vampire. And certainly no humans. I felt how my venom shot into the wound I caused. "Fucking little brat!", screamed the man under my body and pushed his foot into my stomach. I flew back again a few meter, but in seconds I was on top of the attacker again. I couldn't stop myself. I felt like this strange power was controlling me. My fangs drilled another wound into the skin of the vampire, shooting more venom into this body. He cramped underneath me and screamed. I wanted to kill him. No I didn't! Yes I did... I grabbed his head, read to snap his neck, but I was drawn away by two strong arms I already knew very good. "Matthew stop!", said Mason and held me in a tight grip. Slowly the feeling returned to my body and I calmed down. "We need him.", whispered Mason and slighly loosened his grip. I let myself fall to the ground. "How did you know where we are?", I asked weakly. "Dominic called me. He had your phone." Dominic! He sat on the ground a few meters away, trembling all over, but he didn't seem to be injured. I crawled over to him and wrapped my arms around his body. He looked at me and put my black hoodie around my shoulders. I slipped my arms through it and proceeded to hug him. Meanwhile, Mason has tied up the evil vampire and pulled him along. "Well, we need to bring the fella here to the council. And I'm afraid you two have to come too.", he said. I just nodded and helped Dom to stand up.