Chapter 2

When I woke up again I was at home in my bed. My stomach really hurt. I groaned and went out of my bed and downstairs, to grab a glass of water. But when I arrived in the kitchen, I found my mom chatting to Matthew and sipping tea. Then she noticed me. “Oh my dear, are you okay?”, she asked and pulled me in a tight hug. “Yeah, yeah, I’m fine. I guess.” Now I noticed I’m only in my boxers. Matt grinned at me and took a sip of his tea. I turned crimson red and ran back upstairs to put on some clothes. When I came back down, my mom gave me a cup of tea as well. “Matthew was so nice to carry you here. And now we’re going home to those boys who beat you up.”, said my mom.

After we sorted out that mess, Matt and I sat in my room. “You’re really strong, even though you are so skinny…”, I eventually said, breaking the silence. “And your eyes were glowing. I saw it.” Matt remained silent. He just stared at his feet. “Please don’t tell anyone what happened in that side street…”, he whispered. I shifted a bit closer to him. “I wasn’t going to.”, I said. “But you have to explain everything.” Matt took a deep breath. “I… I… you won’t believe me.” I looked him in his beautiful eyes. “I’ve seen some real crazy stuff today. From this point I’ll believe you anything.”, I said. Matt exhaled sharply. “Okay if you insist… I… I’m kinda a… vampire?” Okay. I didn’t expect that. But somehow I had to chuckle. “See, I said you won’t believe me.”, sighted Matt. “No it’s not that.”, I said quickly, “But aren’t vampires supposed to burn in the sun or something?” Now Matt chuckled too. “No, that’s utter bullshit. I mean, it doesn’t even make sense. Why would a creature just start to burn in the sun?” I chuckled again. It quickly turned into a laughter. Then we both just laughed. After a few minutes we slowly calmed down. “Okay but seriously, what else can you do?”, I asked through my laughter. Matt wiped his tears away. “Well, even though most of my powers are still developing, I have quite a nice moveset. For example, super strength of course, super speed, nightvision... I even can fly a bit already. But however, the powers can vary.”, he explained. I started to nervously shift around again. “What about… what about blood…? I that bullshit too or…? Matt took a deep breath. “Well, we DO need blood. But much less than most people think. And we rely on donations from the local blood bank. Drinking directly from humans is against the law.” “You guys have laws?”, I asked and raised an eyebrow. “Yeah of course. A society doesn’t work without laws.”, he said. “Is there anyone else who knows? At school I mean.”, I asked. “You’re killing me with questions, eh?”, laughed Matt, “But no, there isn’t anyone else. Or at least, no one that I’m aware of.” He chuckled. I had so many more questions. But I decided to leave him alone for now. Instead we just sat in my room, listening to music. “Do you want to stay for dinner?”, I asked. “I’m sorry, I can’t. I’m being awaited at home.”, said Matt. “What a bummer.”, I sighted. “Who do you live with actually?” “Uh with an old friend of my dad. He took care of me when… anyway, he’s in the vampire council and has a meeting today, so he needs someone to look after the other kids.” Matt smiled, but somehow he seemed very sad. “Well okay… just call me if you need me, yeah?” I gave him a hug. “Thanks…”, he mumbled in my shoulder.

After dinner I just lay on my bed and thought about everything that happened today. But what really mattered to me was that I finally talked to my crush. I smiled.

Your crush?

Yes, my crush!

He’s a fucking vampire!

Yes, and?

He could easily kill you.

He would never harm me.

But what if he did? What if he’d just use you, like everyone else?

He said, vampires don’t harm humans if not needed.

Everyone can lie. You should think about yourself and nobody else.

Oh shut up, will ya?

I went into the bathroom and grabbed my medicine from the closet. This stupid voice will never talk about Matthew in that way again.

He just uses you! You’re a blind fuck!

I swallowed the pills and immediately the voice was gone. Fucking hell, my brain really sucks sometimes. But then I heard my phone ring. I went back into my room. “Hello, this is Dominic.”, I answered it. “Hey it’s me.”, said the voice on the other end. My heart immediately warmed up “Well, if it isn’t my little vampire.”, I giggled. “Very funny indeed. Listen can you come over? The kids are killing me.”, whined Matt. “Aren’t you supposed to be immortal or something?”, I laughed. Then I heard a kid screaming through the phone and I had to hold it a few cm away from my ear. “Please!”, I heard Matt desperately yelling. “Okay I’ll come over. Where do you live?” “Just walk down the road for a bit. It’s a big grey house, you can’t miss it.” “Alright, I’m on my way.” I ended the call and headed downstairs. I can’t believe he actually asked me for help. My mom was in the living room, watching TV. “I’ll be at Matthew’s for a few hours, okay?”, I told her. “Did you take your pills?” she asked severely. “Yeah, already done that.” “Okay have fun then. But don’t be home too late, you have school tomorrow.” My mom smiled. “Alright, bye!”, I shouted and went outside.

I arrived at Matt’s house and rang the doorbell. I heard children screaming inside and had to chuckle. Okay maybe he really was overstrained with them. Then, a Matt with even messier hair than usual opened the door. He had a little girl on his arm and another little boy clutched himself on his leg. I couldn’t help but break out in loud laughter. “Yes, very funny.”, he mumbled and pulled me inside the house. “Intruder!”, screamed another little boy, who came running towards me. He jumped in my arms and bit me in my shoulder. “Ouch! Hey what was that?”, I said, but had to laugh again. It didn’t hurt more than when a puppy playfully bites you. “Hey Max! Away from Dom! What did I tell you about biting others?”, yelled Matt and pulled the boy out of my arms. “I never saw you as the babysitter type.”, I laughed and wiped the spit off my jacket. The boy named Max just bared his tiny fangs at me and then jumped out of Matt’s arms and ran away. The other, who had been clutching himself onto Matt’s leg, got off too and followed him. “Are they your siblings or something?”, I asked. “Well, not really. My dad’s friend takes care of vampires who had been changed at a young age, until they can be on their own. But you can say, that I’m the big brother.” He laughed. “How many are here?”, I asked, hanging up my jacket. “There are five of us, myself included. You already met the little energy ball named Max. Then there’s Bing, his best friend. They never go anywhere without eachother. This is Lovella.” He pointed with his head on the little girl in his arms. “She’s Bings sister. But they’re the only actual siblings here. And last but not least we have Elle. She’s already a bit older than the others, so she helps me whenever she can. But she’s out today, so I’m alone.” We walked into the living room together, where Max and Bing were wrestling on the ground. We watched them for a bit, until they started to grab and throw eachother. In the blink of an eye I had the little Lovella in my arms and Matt was pushing the two fighting boys away from eachother. “Okay that’s enough fighting, go to your rooms and play there.”, he said severely. Reluctantly, the two boys wen out of the room and ran screaming upstairs. “I really don’t know why you needed my help, you’re handling them pretty well.”, I said, giving him his little sister back. “I need you for mental support, I’m going nuts everytime I’m alone with them.”, groaned Matt. Lovella had already fallen asleep, so we brought her to her room. Now we finally had a bit of time on our own. We lay on the couch and Matt turned on the TV, where Doctor Who was on. “Omg, I love that show!”, I shouted. “You too? Damn, we really have so much in common. How have we not talked for so long?” He rested his head on my lap and I felt the heat dash through my whole body. I wanted to run my hand through his hair. But right before my fingertips reached his fluffy blue mess, we heard the front door being opened and a tall man with short black hair stepped inside. “Hey Matthew, I’m home. I hope the boys didn’t rip you apart yet!”, he said and laughed. Matt rolled his eyes. “Hi Mason! No, I’m still alive. And I have a guest.”, he shouted back. The man came to us into the living room. “Dom, this is Mason, Mason, this is Dom. He knows everything.” The man called Mason nodded and shook my hand. “Okay you two, you can go into Matthew’s room, I’ll pay attention to the kids.”, he said. So we went upstairs.