Part One ~ Chapter Five

“I was instantly hurt by the secrets Matt was hiding, but at the same time I knew he couldn’t tell me everything.”

-Ethan

------------

As Johnny and I got smothered in hugs, the other three disappeared upstairs. I could tell Matt was still a bit freaked out about the gun incident, but when he came down the stairs I could tell something else was up.

He gestured for me and Johnny to come over.

"Oh Ethan how nice it-"

"Hi Aunt Jenna." I gave her a quick hug and mumbling some excuse about needing to bring in my bags.

"Oh... Okay than sweetie! Bye!"

I grabbed Johnny's arm and we both raced up the stairs after Matt. "What is it?" I said, following him into his room where I stopped short at the sight of Amy and Julia. They both seemed like they has seen a ghost.

"Here." Matt plucked a note out of Amy's hand and put it in my palm. He looked down at it for a while before letting go.

My eyes quickly scanned it, and then I handed it over to Johnny. I couldn't describe what I felt. I was confused, I was at a loss for words. But somewhere  the back of my mind, a thought was lurking that I had tried to dispose of.

"Ethan... I should explain," Matt said hesitantly.

"What? That more people are in danger? Because of us?" I was starting to hyperventilate now as I paced back and forth. "Matt, who sent this? Where did you get this from? Did Mr. Grey have an accomplice!?"

Matt put his hand on my arm. "Ethan. You need to calm down. I know you have a lot of questions... Questions I don't have all the answers for. But you need to listen to me." Next to me, I saw Johnny look just as astonished, the note slowly falling to the ground from his grasp.

"What?" I whispered. "Explain. I'm all years."

"You probably want to sit down." Matt took a seat in his desk chair, gesturing to the bed.

It felt so weird being back in my own house, but I couldn't even enjoy the feeling because of all the other chaos happening around me. I sat down on Matt’s

"The day Mr. Grey was pronounced dead... A couple days before the funeral, we got a skype call. It was him, in the flesh and blood.

"Impossible."

"And he promptly told us that he was going to the source of all the problems."

We both said the same word softly at the same time. "Dad."

"But we saw his dead body at the funeral, and figured that it must be a mistake. Maybe a recording of sorts to scare us. But today we came into my room. The window was open... And we found the note."

I sighed, my mind swimming. "Why didn't you tell me?" I asked. "Why didn't you tell me when this happened?” I was instantly hurt by the secrets Matt was hiding, but at the same time I knew he couldn’t tell me everything.

“I wanted you to be happy,” Matt sighed. “Just happy for a while. To believe that you were safe.”

I sighed. It was true, for some time I had been happy, not scared that one wrong move and I could end up dead. “Thank you…” I said. “I understand.” I took the note and read it again, trying to focus on what was more important. “Simply with a bottle of coke? What?”

“I think it means the coke will be poisoned.”

“But how?” Julia asked. “How can he get in here, poison the coke, and make sure its your dad who drinks it without risking it with Elly?”