Chapter 1

Mizuki

"Mizuki! Mizuki, where are you?" Takehiko called out as he searched around the farm for his little girl. Tomorrow was her big day; her 15th birthday to be exact. He had been waiting for this moment for a long time. This was his chance to find out if his daughter would grow up past adolescence or if she would outlive him.

Mizuki shook her head and giggled. She had hidden in a spot where her father would never find her: up in the attic of the barn. Ever since she was old enough to remember, this was her sanctuary. She would curl up in a blanket on top of the hay and read books about all kinds of wonderful worlds.

Although, currently she was using her sanctuary as a hiding spot from her father. He was a worrywart by nature and going overboard to prepare for her birthday celebration.

Mizuki did not understand all the fuss over the celebration - why should this birthday be any different than the last one. Every year her father measured her growth on the frame of the kitchen door and baked her favorite cake. Sometimes they might have a few friends over, but usually they kept the birthday party pretty small.

This year, however, her father was decorating the whole farmhouse in preparation for her 15th birthday. There were fresh flowers in vases, the whole house deep cleaned and the best tablecloths were laid out.

This was pretty unusual behavior for Takehiko. He had been single as long as Mizuki could remember and tended to live like a bachelor.

Mizuki sighed and finally crawled down from her hiding spot. It was no use hiding from her father for too long. She hated to worry him too much.

"Father, I am here," Mizuki looked down and scuffed her shoe in the straw floor of the barn.

Takehiko scolded her gently, "Mizuki... I expected better behavior from someone who is turning fifteen tomorrow".

"I know..." she sighed as she followed him back home.

"We are expecting an important guest for your birthday tomorrow and the house must be ready," Takehiko tried to explain to his daughter, since he genuinely hated to scold her.