Chapter Five: PSA just because I am a female does not mean I am yours to touch

Start from the beginning

I scratched at the back of my neck "Well it has to get better at some point."

"Hopefully."

Tommy Boy got his papes and sat on my other side, just as a new voice entered the group.
"I'll take 20 newspapers please."

I looked around confused "Who is that?"

"Some new kid. Jacks age maybe, gotta kid with him, maybe 11." Tommy said.

"Oh look a new kid."

"Hey I'm new too." A high pitch voice said, most likely  the little one.

"Don't worry kid it rubs right off." I said.
Race barley held in a giggle.

"Now there lookin atcha." Tommy whispered.
"Good."

"Excuse me, I paid for 20 but I only got 19."

"Did you see how nice I was to this new kid?" Mr. Wisel half yelled.

"Actually I didn't!" I called.

"Can it Sights!" about half the people in the square yelled.

"Jacks countin new kids papes." Tommy Boy muttered.

"Ay new kids right you only gave 'im 19. I'm sure it's an honest mistake on a count dat Oscar 'ere can't count to 20 wit 'is shoes on." Jack said.

Eventually they sorted it out and Jack bought the kid 50 more papes, with the two bits I lent him.

He and the little one, whos name turned out to be Les, made a deal about selling papers.
Everyone started to leave the square when Les stopped in front of me.

"Can I pet your dog?"

I stood up from the wagon "Sorry kid, he's on duty. It's a no can do for now."

"What do you mean on duty?" Davie asked.

I grabbed my cane and Blue's harness "He's on duty."

"Davie, she's blind." Les whispered.

"Oh I am so sorry."

"Save it man. It's fine. Blue here is my guide and emotional support dog."

I began to walk out of the square with Les while Jack and Davie walked behind us talking about seling.

"So what can he do?"

"Well, he navigates, keeps me from walking into people, most of the time at least. He can retrieve things, help me up if I fall. And he can tell if I'm having a panic attack or a sensory overload."

"Woah. thats so cool."

I grinned getting an idea.
"Gimme your hand kid."

Once his hand found mine I placed it on Blue's harness as I let go.

"Okay now close your eyes. Keep walking and let your pace match his. He'll guide you around the square and back to me. Got it?"

"Got it." The boy giggled.

"Make sure you keep your eyes closed. You have to trust the dog."

The boy giggled as Blue walked away continuing to guide him around the square.
"Hey what did you do with my brother?"

I laughed "Relax he's with Blue."

I could hear Jack trying to stifle a laugh as Blue walked Les back over.

"That was so cool!"

As I grabbed back onto Blue's harness Jack grabbed my shoulder. "You wanna come wit us ta sell?"