Chapter VIII: When the Title of the Story is Explained

Start from the beginning

"Well, I'm not leaving just yet," I say and get up. "We should finish Gunnar's wonder mix if you haven't already. I need a clear head today."

We each take half of the leftover amount, snort it up in her room where nobody can see and snitch to Barooba. Maybe Barooba wouldn't care, considering she might be fighting to keep me. What a weird sensation. Except for Garmen, and of course my sister Grace, I can't remember the last time anyone has ever fought for me. And now I'm apparently worth a lot of money.

"God, that's the stuff," Garmen says and leans back on the madras. I sniff in a few times to make sure I've inhaled everything. It clears up my head alright, but it also reminds me of exactly how much I miss being proper high. Since the day on the curb neither Garmen nor I have really gotten into it, and I miss it. The pills distributed in the locker room when we get ready for rush hour just doesn't do the trick, and half the time I'm convinced Barooba is just giving us aspirin to placebo us.

"Maybe I should ask to get some of that element," I say as Garmen dries off her nose. "It could probably buy our weight in powder."

"7,5 million," Garmen says out loud. "For 0,3 grams. What element was it again?"

"Californium," I say, recalling the name as easily as I recall my own.

"It's a wicked metal. You know, if you were a periodic element," she begins with a giggle and grabs her crossed legs. The drug is clearly hitting her harder than me. I might have to conceal her up here until it's worn off. "You wouldn't be Californium, because you're too cheap."

And then she bursts into laughter and has to lie down on the bed as her muscles spasm, gasping for air.

"Oh yeah?" I ask. "And what element would I be?"
"Dysprosium," she says immediately as if she's been thinking about it before.

"And why is that?"

"Four reasons," she says and manages to sit up again. She looks so light she might fly off at any moment. "First, its chemical symbol is Dy which sounds like die, which fits you perfectly. Two," she continues as I burst into laughter. "It's very magnetic, like one of the most magnetic elements. Three, it also happens to be my favourite element."

"Wow," I say in exaggeration. "Thank you."

"Shush, I'm not done," she reprimands. She stops to think, but then shakes her head. "I forgot the fourth thing."

"Eh, the third one was the best anyway," I say.

"Do me now," Garmen says and holds out her arms.

"Isn't it a little early?" I ask.

"Wha-? No, you pervert," she says and hits me on my knee. "If I were an element from the periodic table, which one would I be?"

I look at her as she sits there in the morning light, high as a kite with messy hair and a breath which smells like rotten oranges. She looks more like an angel now than she's ever done with her costume wings on.

"You're Carbon," I say. She rolls her eyes.

"You know no elements, at all," she decides.

"That's true," I say. "But I know Carbon is in everything. It's one of the most important elements for all living creatures. And I know Carbon is what diamonds are made of, and that it has the highest melting temperature out of all the elements so you know it can withstand a lot of things. And that in particle form, if dense enough, it looks like a rainbow."

Garmen scrunch her nose together. "You made that last one up."

"Okay yes, but still, diamonds and resilience and life, you've got to admit I'm good."