Chapter 18

A confrontation sounds a little rash.
Jack just... Had to speak with her about her actions-their actions.
He decided he was angrier than he should've been and he sort of liked her. So he wants to apologize to not risk losing a friend.
"Oh... Eugene... You're here." he said to the resting body. Jack kicked him and opened a portal outside of the workshop.
This way Flynnigan could freeze to death-preferably.

Toothiana flew by and Jack caught up with her, "Tooth!"
Toothiana jumped and turned to see Jack.
Jack noticed her face was covered in an abnormal amount of bright makeup when she approached him.
"Oh, you've returned." she exclaimed with a toothy smile.
Jack nodded as he returned a similar but fake expression as he tried to ignore the colors on her face.
The two stared in silence for a while before she clasped her hands together, "Well, I should be going, busy night."
"Toothiana wait-" Jack demanded, halting her exit.
"Listen I-I wanted to apologize for what happened earlier. It's just... I've been a little stressed lately and."
"No need to say sorry, I totally get it. I shouldn't have made a move without your permission."
"Well... It's just... I've been desperately in... love... with someone, I can't be with. And when you made a move I should've been flattered that you cared." he explained while quoting Zel.
Toothiana didn't respond. She just stared blankly, "Love?" she silently repeated.
"Well... I guess loved someone. I don't know what it is now... Or who." he whispered the last part. "Anyways, I hope we're okay."
"Love?" Toothiana said a little louder with clear agitation in her voice. "You don't even know what love is, you're a child. You're immortal and you have to outlive everyone you love. One day they'll all be gone, Jamie, Sophie. And that person you think you love." she glared at him while Jack had a lifeless expression after processing her words.

And... It's funny.
He... He didn't want to outlive this new Rapunzel. She was all he had left but...
In a previous life, Rapunzel had outlived him.
And she never knew.
So this... This hurt that Jack was feeling. She must have experienced something a thousand times worse.
And that's all he could think about.
He couldn't focus on how hurt he'd be.
He focused on how hurt she was. The little dead girl. Deceased for over three hundred years.
He fought back tears, shaking his head telling himself not to cry.

Toothiana blinked rapidly and covered her mouth, "Oh my... What did I just-- I'm so sorry Jack. I didn't mean it."

He couldn't hear her.
Do you know what he heard?
"You're coming back, right?"
"You don't have to ask that every time. I'll be back, I promise."
That's right. His unfulfilled promise.
Rapunzel had waited for him.
He should have just taken the opportunity and kissed her when he had the chance.
Because it was the last they ever saw of each other.

And the worst part?
Jack could have seen her.
It's not like he was trapped in the ice all those years.
If he had just found his memories sooner he could find Rapunzel and get her to believe.
But he didn't.
And now it's something he was going to have to live with.

Because now there's a new Rapunzel.
And there's a new Eugene.
And history always repeats itself.

But,
This time
When he has her
This time he will kiss her
Because it's all he has left.