Chapter 10

Jack laid back on the uncomfortable rubble forgetting where he was, only focusing on how easily she moved on.

But what he didn't see was her doubt.
He didn't notice that when Eugene was tricked to sail a boat to the castle how quickly Rapunzel was convinced he left.
How she stared at the boat not doing anything, giving the same look she had looking out her window for another boy that never returned.
He didn't notice Eugene initiate their almost first kiss and Rapunzel just imitating what the man did after not knowing a proper response.

And when Eugene died Jack didn't notice that Rapunzel had cried harder for Jack. As she watched Eugene die she could only think of Jack.
The silent pause as she looked at Eugene reminded her of the time Jackson never came back.
This was the only other person who had ever shown her such affection, Rapunzel didn't know how she could go on after having lost two people-three counting the woman who raised her.
So she sat and she cried.
A tear fell, healing Eugene giving her such relief she decided for the first time she would take charge. So she pulled him into a kiss.

Jack released the vial and laid there.
The air got colder and snow began falling down on top of him as his tears turned to ice.

After a few hours, the heartbroken child headed back to the Headquarters.
He slumped as he walked and contained no energy.
He only looked downward and ignored everything around him.
A pair of big hands grabbed Jack's shoulders, "Frost, are you okay?" North asked the boy.
"Hmm?" Jack asked, ignoring eye contact.
"You don't look as... Smiley as you used to... You good?"
Jack didn't respond.
"Talking about it might help clear things up."
Jack nodded, "Okay. Well... I just watched someone I once loved fall in love all over again as if I never existed."
"Memory plot hole?"
"What?"
North patted his back, "Jack, my boy, you weren't the only person so eager to learn as much as they can about their past. Luckily for me, Toothiana wasn't around when I wanted to know."
Jack furrowed his eyebrows.
"You've learned about Rapunzel?"
"How did you--"
North chuckled, "I know everything, maybe."
Jack didn't laugh.
North noticed and returned to a serious facial expression.
Jack began tearing up, "I wish I could have her back. Or have her in general. I just... I want her and she's not here. She's not mine. And... And..."
North rubbed his back, "Jack, you've been around a long time. Long enough to know history always repeats itself. Maybe you can't have the exact Rapunzel you want but your someone might be out there. It's hard to spend eternity alone."
Jack looked up at him, wiping away his own tears.
He nodded and flew out.
North smiled.

"History always repeats itself." Jack said to himself as the cold wind hit his face, "I know where my Rapunzel is."