𝑆𝑢𝑑𝑑𝑒𝑛 𝐷𝑒𝑐𝑖𝑠𝑖𝑜𝑛

It was the day of your father's funeral. Some relatives, council members and emperores and empresses of other kingdom were present.

After the burial, everyone was gathered in one of the castle's halls for refreshments. You stared at the half full glass of wine tuning out all the chatter from the guests.

You felt an arm around the back of your waist pulling you out of your daze.

"How you holding up?"

Shoto spoke as he rubbed his thumb on your waist trying to comfort you.

"I'm doing better than I expected."

You gave him a weak smile. Even though your father arranged for you to marry shoto against your will and neglected you alot growing up.

You still couldn't help but feel saddened by his death, he was still you father all matters aside and you knew deep down he really loved you.

"I know how hard this is for you but I also know you'll get through this besides I'm not gonna leave you alone today."

You only hummed in response, continuing to stare at your glass. Shoto then gave you a small comforting peck on the side of your head, a way of telling you he was with you.

Many of the guests came to you offering their condolences, shoto thanked them for their kind words on your behalf because you seemed to out of it.

During the end of the gathering keigo hopped on stage to give a small speech and to announce that he will be taking the throne and becoming the next emperor.

When all was said and done everyone left along with the todorokis. You had told enji you would arrive at the palace later as you wanted to spend some time with your brother and mother.

-Time Skip-

You and your mother sat in one of the balconies admiring the sunset.

"Your father always loved sunsets, I however loved sunrises. We would usually argue about which was more beautiful."

Your mother chuckled lightly but her eyes were filled with pain and loneliness.

"I see."

"I'm sorry."

Your mother suddenly spoke causing you to turn your head towards her.

"Why?"

"You know, for forcing you to get engaged to shoto todoroki. I know you might think of us as horrible human beings for sacrificing their daughter due to political benefits."

"I can't say I disagree with that."

"But the thing is you don't know the whole story. You see the year you were born was the worst year are kingdom had to go through. We wanted to spend more time with our baby daughter but handling the kingdom took a lot of our energy."

"Worst year?"

"Well you see a few days after you were born a massive earthquake occured in one of the most populated city in the kingdom, the earthquake was deadly and about a million people died from it. The aftermath was bad, other cities were affected too, lots of buildings and properties were destroyed. Many people were left homeless. In the end we received helped from enji's kingdom and in return he requested for you to be engaged to shoto. We were desperate for help so we agreed."

You were slightly taken aback by the sudden revelation, why were you just hearing about this.

"Then why have you been so cold to be all these years, why have you ignored me."