|20| the best setter

(F/n) often looks like she does not care about anything Tooru does. Whether he'd sprained his ankle, his knees getting weaker, or any type of injuries in general, she'd only ask him how he feels and move on with her day. But today was different. 

"How do you feel?" she asks, sitting beside Tooru's slumped body on his bed. Room is full of aliens patterned things and volleyball related items. For an instance when it comes to volleyball, his best setter award. Tooru loves to recall his middle school days no matter how bittersweet it was for him. 

Tooru glances up at her, (F/n)'s beautiful features were replaced with a slight frown. He wanted to sigh because he think he knows that it'll be the same reaction all over again. Frankly, he's kind of disappointed by her lack of care to his body unlike Iwaizumi, but then he thinks he's just being attention seeking and childish as usual, so he washed it off from his thoughts immediately. 

"The sprain's getting bet-"

"I'm talking about your emotions," (F/n) cuts through his words. 

Catching him off guard, his gaze is locked onto his girlfriend whose wearing his usual attire whenever she is going outside her house. Tooru's lips were slightly parted and his chocolate orbs were wide enough to pierce through her comfort zone. 

Ashamed, pathetic, and weak. 
He longs to scream those words by a mere gaze. 

Tooru feels miserable in once compared to his junior, Kageyama Tobio. He loathes geniuses, his wounds displays everything he had tried to create perfection of in the terms of volleyball. Polishing it, his past self would sob in anger out of raw and fresh anger that traces down in his flesh. Thus, instead of crying out of misery he hones his skills like he's holding the last of someone's breath by his grasp. 

"I want to go to the nationals, I want to be better━no, I can be better than this,"

He says those words as if he's signing a declaration for a world war. Tooru is the perfect balance of an antagonist and protagonist. He may be the calyx of their relationship, but he's a chrysalis when it comes to his dreams. Not even once in their entire span of knowing one another, had he expected her to cause him, the Grand King, to submerge in anxiety. 

"Tooru," (F/n) calls his name in a sweet tone, almost too sweet for him that it may forcefully unfold his wounds just by hearing his name. She earnestly loves everything about his flaws just like how it is the other way around. 

"You're still a mere human in the end, are you not? If you practice so hard to this extent, I doubt you can even pull off your best performance,

I love how you'd work so hard on something you want to achieve, but I believe you can be better if you're more aware of your own health when it comes to volleyball. Is there someone you want to defeat?"

Tooru looks out at the window, "... Tobio-chan and that Ushiwaka guy. I want to defeat them so badly," 

His voice became hoarse by the end of his sentence, clutching to every remaining voice he could let out now as if he is not letting go of the remaining shards of his pride. Finding peace within (F/n) voice made him realize he had overlooked how much of an impact her evocative side is. A repeated verse of comfort, it entrails a caramel voice that painstakingly intrigues him. She is indeed what Tooru would call his personal oasis. "I believe that you can do it, Tooru. But even if you were to be defeated by these people you call 'Tobio' and 'Ushiwaka', you can defeat them in the future," she says, stroking Tooru's cheek with her thumb. 

The setter makes a wry face, "Tobio-chan doesn't deserved to be called by his first name by you, (F/n)!" he holds her hands suddenly, pulling her to lay down on his bed with him. Built arms were seizing her in the most delicate way possible. "But, thank you for believing in me, (F/n)," he whispers loud enough for her to hear, leisurely letting himself dug further into (F/n)'s chest. 

"Aren't you one needy setter?" (F/n) giggles, then kissing the top of his head. Leaving those two cuddling all day in Tooru's room without any sort of disturbance.