Chapter 2

Okay, so actually they sat there for forever, trying to figure out what to do. Then Rhubarb decided they could start by asking the Queen a few questions about Princess Rose.

The two walked side by side to the palace entrance. When they got there, The two WolfWing guards at the door stopped them and asked what business they had in the palace. Chamomile could tell by the look on Rhubarb's face that he very much enjoyed being able to tell the guards that he, actually, had all the business in the palace. Rhubarb grabbed the token from his neck pouch, where he had put both of their tokens, and showed it to the guards.

As they walked through the archway that was the entrance, Chamomile heard on of the guards whisper to the other, "With all those tokens being handed out, what's the point of even having guards here?" the guard chuckled. Chamomile scampered into the palace and looked around for the Queen. She wasn't sitting on her throne, and she could understand why.

Finally, some palace WolfWings - Chamomile guessed they were royal hunters or something - guided them to the Royal Library, where Queen Ivy was most likely to go if something was wrong. Queen Ivy loved drawing, writing, and reading, so it made sense.

They found the Queen drawing in a corner of the vast library. As they approached her, Chamomile said softly, "Your Highness?" The Queen didn't respond immediately. "Queen Ivy?" This time, the Queen turned and looked at the two.

"Oh, hello," She said. It wasn't quite a whisper, but her tone just expressed 'sad'. "I suppose, since you aren't Royal WolfWings, you have come because of Rose's disappearance?" Rhubarb nodded. "We'd like to ask you some questions."

Queen Ivy now turned her body to face them instead of just her head. "Ask away."

"When did you last see your daughter?" Rhubarb asked.

"Last night, when I went to say goodnight." The Queen replied.

"And then she wasn't anywhere in the morning?"

"No."

"Was she acting strange at all? Any sort of unusual thing that doesn't happen every day?"

"No, unless you count the fact that I drew a picture of her and gave it to her."

"No, I don't. Okay, last question. Do you think this has anything to do with the prophecy from that NightWing?"

Chamomile had forgotten about the prophecy that Moonwatcher, one of the students at Jade Mountain, had seen. It had said,

Destined for grandeur,

From the small  tribe,

The path won't be easy,

But it's the fate you must find.

It just ended there. Chamomile found it odd that the entire prophecy was only one paragraph. The Queen was shaking her head. "The only thing it says about us is 'the small tribe', since we are the smallest tribe on the continent." She explained. Rhubarb nodded once, jotted her answers down, said "Thank you for your time" and left.

"Well, where to now?" Chamomile asked Rhubarb. Rhubarb looked thoughtful for a moment before answering, "Maybe we could go to the crime scene. As long as the Princess didn't sleepwalk her way to her dragonet-napper (kidnapper? but they don't know what kids are?? I don't know,), she must have been taken from her bed." Chamomile snorted. "You think of everything." Rhubarb smiled and rolled his eyes. "C'mon, let's go," Chamomile said, scampering down the hallway in search of the Princess's bedroom.

Since it was a Royal room, it was right at the end of the main hallway instead of some corner somewhere in the palace. When they got there, the sunlight was shining in through one half of the ceiling. The other half was made entirely of wood. They walked around the room for a moment when suddenly Rhubarb inhaled sharply but quietly.

"What? What is it?" Chamomile went to lean over Rhubarb's shoulder to see what he had picked up from the floor. "It's a dart," Rhubarb breathed. They looked at each other. "So?" Chamomile asked.

"So," Rhubarb said, "Our kidnapper is a RainWing."