Chapter 18: Dawn

(The dragon in the image above is Dawn)

A few years later

Dawn growled as he heard his fellow icewing soldiers gossiping about him and how he looked. He was the only one, next to Crackle and Blizzard, who looked like an icewing but was the color of a skywing. He hated looking like a skywing! He hated it even more that he looked like the enemy. He didn't like being compared to those sky lovers! Except when he was compared to his father, Crimson. Crimson was a great leader and amazing soldier that Dawn hoped to be. He wished he was as good as him, great in combat like Crackle, and crude and cold like Blizzard. 

Blizzard was only eight years old and he already was in the second circle! Skye was there with him as well as Dusk. Crackle was in third with IceStorm. While Dawn stayed at the forth circle. He was the reason his mother and father were being weighed down by him. But that's what he thought. 

In reality his parents were both concerned for him and wondered why he was so low in the rankings. As much as Crimson hated the circle system, he hated having to carve his son's name in the forth circle even more. His son excelled in school but not when it came to combat. That's probably why he had Crackle and Blizzard to look out for him when they were in training or guarding the ice kingdom border. 

Blizzard hissed at the other icewings and bared his sharp white teeth. His face always struck fear in others. His skywing half of him made him have red from the top of his brows to the bottom of his face and side of his body. It looked like his body was all bloody and skinned. He was feared the most in the icewing tribe, and because he looked like he could kill you with his stare with his pale blue eyes. 

Crackle on the other talon was like Dawn but he was a lighter red orange color. Nothing scary about him except for his loud roar. Just like a crackle of thunder, hints why he got his name. His spikes were also red which looked like blood. He looked more like a skywing though. Unlike Dawn, who was just a dark crimson color. 

Dawn sighed and rushed out of the barracks. Icewings laughed at him as he left but got silenced by Blizzards cold stare and Crackle's roar. The two of them went after their brother. Dawn ran into the palace court yard and stopped in front of the circle placer. He took his claws and scratched his name off of the board until a dragon pounced on top of him. He looked up to see his little sister Skye. 

"What are you doing, Dawn?" Skye asked. 

"What does it look like? I'm scratching my name off of the board and leaving this tribe. I don't belong anywhere and I'm weighing mom and dad down with my rank."

"That's not true!" Crackle said as he rushed over. "Mother and Father said its okay as long as we're higher than the fifth circle!"

"Yeah, but Dawn is nearly at the bottom of the forth circle, close to the fifth. He's almost where he can not live with us in the palace anymore." Their eldest brother Blizzard said. 

"See? I'm just weighing everyone down! That's why I need to leave!" Dawn said as tears escaped his eyes. 

"Dawn," A voice said from behind them. All of the dragons turned to see their mother and father standing there. Crystal rushed over to hug Dawn while his father walked behind her. Crystal threw her wings around her son and mourned. 

"You're not weighing us down, dear." Crystal said as she hugged her son. "If it bothers you that much, we'll just take you off of the board since you're technically not an icewing."

"But I am, mother! I'm just the wrong color." Dawn said as he looked over at his father, who looked sad. The dragonet looked down at his black talons in guilt. "I just want to take some time away to think. Like what mother did. Travel Pyrrhia, visit other tribes."

"That's a little hard to do since we are at war, Dawn." Blizzard said, his siblings nodding their heads in agreement. 

"Also!" Skye began. "We all like having you here! We really enjoy spending time with you! Please stay, Dawn."

"Stay with us, son." Crimson said as he threw a wing around his dragonet. "After the war, if you're still feeling up to it, we both will go on a trip across the continent." 

Dawn looked up at his siblings then at his father and nodded. Crimson smiled and flexed his claws before carving his son, Dawn's name, on the board once more.