Alexander stood from his desk. As he walked down the corridor, he joined up with the King's entourage. It wasn't like Alexander wasn't nervous, he was, but a Prince couldn't be nervous. He had to remain confident.

The King walked at a brisk pace. The sun hadn't yet risen but no one doubted that this meeting wouldn't take all day. If anything, it might take longer. Such was the nature and importance of their talk.

King Rothchester and Alexander reached the foyer just as King Caldor arrived. Princess Cassidy walked behind him. Both Kings greeted each other curtly.

There was no handshake. No smiles or joyful remarks. One wrong word and there really could be war. Even as Alexander thought this, he felt a sense of calm wash over him. It was ultimately his fault for complicating everything. If it came down to it, he would take responsibility. After all, the King had other heirs.

As King Rothchester lead them to the meeting room, Cassidy and Alexander glanced at each other. If she was trying to give him a hint, couldn't tell. Maybe if things went well he'd ask her how she had convinced her father to attend the meeting.

The study was set up when they arrived. There was a large, square table in the center and four chairs around it. Upon the table were the treaty drafts Alexander had come up within three days. When they entered, the doors closed behind them. Their entourages waited outside.

The Kings wasted no time in sitting down. Cassidy and Alexander followed. Wordlessly, Cassidy placed her drafts upon the table as well. The Kings grabbed the other party's documents and started to read. 

"This is a mockery," King Caldor finally said. He threw the papers down on the table. "Our previous arrangement was perfectly fine." He glared at Alexander. "As the offended party, I demand reparations."

"Publicly, it was Princess Caldor that ended the engagement," Prince Rothchester answered coolly. "We never instigated such talks."

"This coming from a mere boy?" King Caldor scoffed. "Childish."

Prince Rothchester refused to look at his father. Take care of it, the King had said. That was the condition he had set to participate in the discussion. Alexander had understood that perfectly. King Rothchester was not going to interfere. It would be up to Alexander to convince King Caldor without any help.

"Your people want you off the throne," Alexander said bluntly. "That's no secret."

King Caldor growled. Cassidy gave Alexander a look but didn't comment.

"You dare," King Caldor began.

"It's past time you face it," Alexander continued. "Marrying into my family will not change that."

"I will not sit here and have you lecture me," King Caldor said, standing.

"Then stand," Alexander retorted. 

A stunned silence followed. 

"Regardless of the time that has passed," Alexander continued gently. "I have always held respect for the Caldor family. I'm sure your people have too. It's difficult not to notice everything changing. I'm not fond of change myself but I know it is necessary."

"I think so too," Princess Cassidy said. "Our people want a new form of government. They want o merge. As the next ruler, I'd want that too."

"That has yet to be decided," King Caldor sneered. "What good are you if you immediately give away the Crown?"

Cassidy sat up straighter. "My King, I have and will always sacrifice everything for the Crown. Our people aren't talking about a complete abolishment. It also doesn't mean I'll give up the throne. It will be a gradual merge with the government in place. But, at this moment, we are speaking of a treaty between two great Royal families. I implore you not to muddle the two."

"Our agreement is this," Alexander said. "We will continue to provide support and keep good relations with each other. In essence, everything from the previous arrangement will be the same. However, the bonding of this agreement will be one of friendship rather than marriage."

"For a mere human, huh?" King Caldor said.

Alexander clenched his jaw. He hated hearing Rin badmouthed.

"For our people," Alexander replied. "To be frank, I am fully aware I'm not qualified to take the crown from King Rothchester, but as long as I hold the title of Crown Prince, I am willing to do anything to keep the Crown from being dragged through the mud." He gestured to the chair. "King Caldor, join us, and let us discuss our future."

For a few seconds, Alexander wondered if the King would walk out the door. Cassidy looked pale and Alexander could almost see her shaking. Eventually, King Caldor grunted and sat. 

Now, Alexander thought to himself. Here comes the hard part.