...When You Least Expect It

It should have been harder.

Driving through the gates of Arrow House, there should have been some trepidation or uncertainty. But there was none. Even sixteen months after leaving- a year since the divorce was finalized. Yet, it still felt like home. It was still her home. And now, she prayed, things can go back to how they should be.

Grace had known when she left that Thomas would be hurt. She had known that coming back would be hard. And she had no doubt that he would try to push her away at first. It was simply the way that Thomas protected himself. But she had worked hard to be able to make this drive. And she loved him.

God, she loved him.

It was almost impossible to her, now, to think that she might have ever stopped. It was impossible to her that there was a time when she didn't know if she loved her husband. But there was no doubt now. She loved Thomas. She was ready to return to their life. And she was ready to be the mother to his child- their child.

It had taken months of counseling and self-reflection. It had taken tears and anger and countless nights forcing herself to remember that it wasn't Ruby's fault. It wasn't even Lizzie's fault. That the pain Grace had felt the day Ruby was born had been from her own insecurities and her own disappointments, not from any wrong someone had done to her. She hadn't seen it then, but she knew it now.

So yes, she was ready to be the mother that little girl needed and deserved. She was ready to love her whole heartedly and without a trace of reserve. And if- when- Thomas let her back into his life and his heart, she would never walk away from either of them again.

Pulling to a stop in front of the door, Grace looked at the house Thomas had bought her. That same thrill of excitement and joy rushed through her- a feeling she hadn't had in so very long. One that had been familiar and welcome to her before...everything. Taking a deep breath, she parked the car and got out. Her head was high as she made her way to the door. Her steps were light but determined.

Her mind went back to the news articles and gossip magazines she'd skimmed online or in the checkout queue in the grocery store. The divorce had been private, but somehow news still got out. And since then Thomas had not been seen with any women. Not at fundraisers or the annual Shelby Company Ltd. Gala. There had been no glimpses of Lizzie Stark or anyone else in his life since Grace had left it. Further proof that he hadn't moved on any more than Grace had.

It made her smile.

She knocked on the door. A moment later the sound of footsteps reached her and Grace forced her smile to dim slightly, allowed the nerves she felt at seeing Thomas shine in her eyes. Because despite her hope and his lack of female company, she was nervous. Then the door opened and nerves fled, quickly replaced by a tidal wave of love and desire. Thomas looked magnificent- strong and sharp with a hint of something feral underneath. All the things that had drawn her to him the first time.

"Hello, Thomas. May I come in?"

He stepped aside, but didn't speak. It discomfited her slightly, but she pushed forward. He had been hurt and she was the cause. There would be work involved with healing the broken trust between them. As she stepped into the foyer, a woman came from upstairs with Ruby in her arms. A frisson of dread trailed up Grace's spine. But then she looked more closely. The woman showed obvious deference to Thomas. And when she spoke she addressed him as 'Mr. Shelby'. She wasn't his lover, then, just the nanny.