Chapter 15

The next morning Olivia was in higher spirits as she made her way down to breakfast. Vivien was already in the dining room and gave Olivia the mean look that she always did when she saw Olivia. Olivia did not let it bother her as she sat down to eat. When Gregory walked in, he said nothing but a soft ‘good morning’. It was not long into breakfast when they heard a knock at the door. Olivia could hear talking in the hall but did not recognize the voice. Gregory must have for he immediately left the room with a smile on his face. Everyone quickly followed him.

“Gregory!” the visitor yelled. When Olivia made it to the foyer, she saw a man about the same age as Gregory shaking hands with him. He was just a little shorter than Gregory, standing around six foot or so. He had sandy blond hair that was tousled about on his head, and he was wearing a boyish grin. The man was wearing riding clothes, and Olivia could see that the butler had already taken his gloves and hat.

“James!” Gregory greeted, surprise but happiness filling his voice. “What are you doing here?” he asked with a laugh.

“I was riding through and I figured I would stop in to say hello,” James smiled. “How have you been? It has been months since I have seen you last.”

“I am doing well. Yourself?” Gregory returned the question.

“I have been doing well also, but we are being rude!” he exclaimed, looking at the party that had grown in the foyer. “Lady Willington!” he greeted before going over to kiss her hand.

“James,” she smiled, “it is good to see you again.” Next he moved to shake Lord Willington’s hand and exchanged familiar greetings with him.

“Vivien? Is that you?” he laughed. “The last time I saw you, you were barely fifteen!” He was about to kiss Vivien’s hand before he caught sight of Olivia. He stepped away from Vivien, to her chagrin, and turned to face Olivia.

“And who is this beautiful woman?” he complimented. Olivia blushed a deep red as he took her hand and gently placed a kiss on her knuckles. Before Olivia could supply him with her name, Gregory spoke.

“This is Olivia…my fiancée,” he told James. James snapped his head towards Gregory, shock etched into his face.

“Your fiancée?” James questioned. Gregory smiled at him and nodded his head. Gregory also walked to Olivia’s side to further prove that what he was saying was true. “Pardon me,” James stuttered, “I just did not expect to hear this when I walked through the door,” he explained.

“Yes,” Gregory chuckled, “it also took me by surprise.”

“James, would you like to join us for breakfast?” Lady Willington interjected. “We were just sitting down when you arrived.”

“Yes, ma’am, I would love some breakfast,” he smiled before following her into the dining room. No one spoke until they were all seated around the table.

“How do you two know each other?” Olivia asked sweetly.

“Gregory, you did not tell her about me? I thought we were like brothers!” cried James, acting hurt. At the look Gregory gave him, he just laughed and addressed Olivia.

“We have been friends for, what would you say Gregory, seven years?” At Gregory’s nod, he continued. “We met while he was spending the season in London.”

“Do you live in London?” Olivia inquired.

“Near London,” he explained, “we are outside the city but just a short carriage ride away.” Olivia nodded in understanding. “Gregory, why did you not tell me you were engaged to be married? I would think the best man should have known,” he grinned.