Chapter 8 part 1

Several days passed before Olivia received word from Lady Willington. After getting dressed with the help of Charlotte, Olivia made her way down the stairs and into the foyer on her way to the dining room for breakfast. She was stopped before she could even reach the doorway by their butler, Charles.  Offering her a respectful greeting, he handed her a letter and proceeded on his way.  Expecting the letter to be from the Willington’s, she quickly opened it to assess its contents.

My dear Olivia,

          Gregory has told me how you wish for my help with the wedding, and I am extremely flattered. I would be more than happy to help with anything I can; after all, you are soon to be my daughter. Will your mother like to help with the ceremony? I am aware that you are her only daughter, and I would hate to deprive either of you from this mother and daughter moment. Alas, I will most certainly help you in any way I can. I respectively request to have you visit on the morrow so we may begin. If your mother so wishes, please have her join you when you come.

Yours truly,

Lady Beverly Willington

Olivia felt a smile creep itself on her face as she read of Lady Willington’s wish to be involved. Although she would never reveal it, Olivia felt a surge of happiness at the idea of being a daughter, and not only a daughter, but a daughter that someone openly embraced. She was still bracing the letter to her chest as she walked into the overbearing dining room. Olivia had never liked this room as it reeked of tackiness. The furniture was too large for the room, with strange carvings on the tables and chairs. The chandelier that hung above the ceiling was so ghastly in appearance that she had seen on many occasions looks of horror pass along the faces of her parents’ guests. The window treatments were dark which, to Olivia, gave the room an eerie appearance. She never could quite understand why the room was decorated as it was, especially when considering that the others rooms in the home were fairly pleasant. The dining room gave her shivers, in part to its appearance and the many unpleasant scoldings she had received from her parents.

“Olivia,” her mother started as soon as she entered the room, “where have you been? Breakfast began twenty minutes ago,” she scolded. Olivia took her seat on the opposite end of the table from her parents and quietly thanked a maid for bringing her a plate of food.

“I am sorry, Mother. I slept a tad too late and found myself distracted by a letter presented to me this morning.” Olivia did not bother to elaborate.

“Oh? And who, may I ask, wrote to you?” Olivia held her sigh as her mother’s critical tone reached her ears.

“It was Lady Willington, Mother.” At the mention of her soon to be mother-in-law, both her parents quickly looked up to stare at her.

“What did Lady Willington want, Olivia?” her father interjected. “You did not do anything to upset them, have you?” he asked with an accusatory tone.

“Why must you always assume that I did something wrong?” Olivia asked, letting her disobedience rise to the surface.

“Excuse me? What did you say to me?” her father bellowed. Olivia cringed in fear as her father screamed across the table. “This is why I believe you to always be doing something wrong! You have a complete lack of respect for authority! Now, answer me girl, and I better not receive a snarky reply. Did you do anything that would upset Lord Willington?” her father spoke between a clenched jaw. Olivia watched as her father’s cheeks stained a deep red, nearing on purple. Knowing that she once again over stepped her bounds, Olivia kept her eyes cast downwards as she spoke.

“I am terribly sorry, Father. I meant no disrespect. Lady Willington merely asked me to visit her tomorrow to discuss plans for my wedding.” Glancing towards her mother, she continued to speak. “Mother, she also invited you to join in with the planning. Lady Willington acknowledged that a wedding is something special between a mother and daughter.” The adult in Olivia knew that her mother would openly refuse to plan her daughter’s wedding, but the child deep within hoped that something of such importance would bring about a maternal streak in her mother. Her mother’s harsh laughter further crushed the little girl craving for a reason to be loved.

“Hah! I have more important matters to attend to, Olivia, but extend to Lady Willington my appreciation of her invitation.” Olivia nodded her head in the affirmative as the disjointed family finished their breakfast in silence.

A few hours later found Olivia walking along the back of her father’s property, following the edge of the tree line. She had many times taken this walk, the slight wear in the grass being of sound proof. Olivia absentmindedly spun a small flower between her thumb and forefinger as she made the trek to the lake that lay just beyond her father’s property. A person must circle past the trees for a small distance to make their way to the lake. She knew that across the wide expanse of water she was slowly approaching laid the Willington estate, more affectionately known as Leighton. The large expanse of water spread wide enough to cause a much longer trip between the houses than should have been necessary.

Olivia breathed deeply into the warming air of spring. The sun shone warmly upon her shoulders as she lowered herself onto the ground with her toes inches away from the water’s edge. Olivia had kicked off her shoes as soon as she had reached the sandy beach. This became Olivia’s sanctuary, her escape from everything when life became too difficult. She found this place when she was around ten, and ever since, she would find herself making the trip to the water when things became too rough. She never told anyone of where she went, never wanting to give up her secret hideaway. Olivia knew that riders would sometimes gallop around the lake, and although she had seen prints, she had never seen another person. This never bothered Olivia, as she liked the quietness that such a place offered. Olivia laid herself down as she directed her gaze towards the sky to watch the fair weather clouds dance across the blue sky. In little time, Olivia was fast asleep with the sun as her blanket.