DM02: Background

Since Dolly started at her job nine months ago, Mona has watched her with interest. Mona sees her as the perfect candidate if she ever would admit what she wants. But from the first day, Dolly, what a perfect name, has been in Mona's dreams and ponderings.

A few days after Dolly starts, Mona, going into a meeting with Dolly's boss, introduced herself. Dolly replies with her name, and they chat for a minute or two. With Mona's office down at the other end of the hall, if Mona leans a bit with the door open, she can see Dolly at the other end. That always brings a smile to her face.

Dolly is thrilled in return to be able to see Ms. Clarkson come and go. Dolly is always happy when she catches a glimpse of Mona. When Mona is by her reception desk and talks to her, Dolly is in seventh heaven for the rest of the day. Dolly tries to figure out why she feels this way for the woman. Perhaps just her projection of power and confidence, but with such a caring, kind manner.

For the first few months, Mona always takes time to have a word or two with Dolly when she goes by. Dolly lives for these moments. She often feels tongue-tied as they chat, but Mona always gives her a wink as she departs, making Dolly feel so thrilled. The wink is almost like a signal to Dolly. She never sees Mona wink at anyone else.

From their casual chats, one day at lunchtime in the company cafeteria, Dolly and Mona are in line together to pay. As they do, Mona asks Dolly if she would like to eat lunch with her. Dolly jumps at the chance and actually spills a bit of her chocolate milk in response.

Mona pats the stain away on Dolly 's blouse and tells her softly, "You need to be more careful, my dear." Dolly blushes so redly at the comment. It is how sweetly Mona says it that makes Dolly shake some as she follows Mona. They find a table in the corner, away from others eating.

That lunch is the beginning. Well, the beginning of the beginning.

It is the first lengthy conversation the two have. After some preliminaries where Mona is quizzing Dolly about her life and education, they fall into a friendly chat between them about everything and nothing.

At one point, Mona kids Dolly, asking if she has other sisters at home named after first ladies? Tears begin to fill Dolly's eyes, making Mona feel horrible about her small joke. She passes Dolly napkins to dry her eyes as she just looks on as the young woman calms herself.

Dolly, through a few sniffs, tells Mona that she was an only child, and both her parents are now dead. They were gone a week apart from each other. Her father from a sudden heart attack, and her mother in anguish over her husband's death, Dolly thinks.

Their deaths were the month before Dolly graduated from college. And the little inheritance Dolly got helped her get established in an apartment and a car for a job. She now has to fend for herself.

After college, for five years, Dolly had menial labor positions. She hated them all. Finally, Dolly saw the posting from this company for a Personal Assistant. Dolly decided it had to be a more exciting occupation and applied. But while different, and is expanding her skills, it still does not inspire Dolly.

Mona feels horrible for this young girl, so Dolly seems, though only five years younger. With kindness, Mona tells Dolly, she can relate, as her parents are also deceased now. Both women look at each other with compassion and understanding.

The lunch ends quickly after that as Dolly needs to be back at her desk. Mona smiles as she has no strict time schedule in her position but understands that Dolly does.

After that, if the women find themselves at lunch at the same time, they start to sit together often and chat about things. Dolly takes up a habit of watching when Mona leaves for lunch to follow her quickly. Unfortunately, more days than not, Mona does not go to the cafeteria as she is having business luncheons with clients and other execs. At least once or twice a week, Dolly is rewarded, and she and Mona just happen to be in line at the same time and do eat together.

There is, for Dolly, something about Mona that she is so drawn to. Could Mona be what she is longing for? But Dolly could never suggest the type of relationship she wants to Mona. Dolly is sure Mona would be disgusted and perhaps even take steps to have Dolly removed from the company.

So, instead, Dollycherishes each time they are together and saves what she craves to justfantasize about at night, or when she has downtime from her work. Especially if she gets to have a glimpse ofMona as she does.