Chapter 1

Thursday November 26

Aspen's P.O.V.

*Bang, Clatter, Swoosh*

I smile in content as another shot bounces into the hoop. I go for the rebound and I line up to the free throw line. Just as I release the ball in an arc, I hear loud voices and a bouncing basketball through the streets.

I am at the public park a few minutes away from my house shooting around and practicing like I do nearly everyday.

I go here because nobody else typically comes since it is practically falling apart. There's a hole in one of the slides and a swing is hanging from one chain. The sidewalk has giant chunks missing that are lying around in random places in the park.

In other words, this park is garbage.

The voices and bouncing ball keep getting louder and louder.

Once in a while, a group will come and play a pickup game with their friends. I will just give them the court when they get here. I have been here for a little over an hour and I should probably be getting home soon.

I am wearing dark gray sweatpants and my old travel basketball hoodie. I know, I am super stylish, right? Right.

I pull my hood up as the wind starts to blow causing my ponytail to fly around until I tuck it back into my sweatshirt.

I pull up for a few more jump shots until I spot the guys turn the corner and down the road to get down to the basketball court. I keep my back towards them and pick up my old ball that should really be replaced.

Just as I am about to walk off the court and head home, I hear, "Hey, dude! We are down one player for our game. Do you want to play?" it's a voice I would recognize anywhere. It's Finn. He is the star point guard and adored by everyone. People basically worship the ground he walks on.

Okay, that may be a little excessive but we are learning about hyperboles in English so I'm practicing.

I've never really talked to him but he is definitely easy on the eyes if you know what I mean.  Wink wink.

I try to pull out a strong manly voice, "Sorry, dudes. I got to roll out and shave my legs?" I say in a really unbelievable voice without turning around to face them.

Nice one, Aspen. I think to myself. What guy says they have to shave their legs?

Before I give them a chance to say anything, I sprint away from them in the direction of my house keeping my head down the entire way. I almost snort in laughter when I hear one guy mutter, "What in the actual fuck?"

If only he knew how smooth my legs are. I chuckle to myself before I realize I really do need to shave.

Just as I turn the corner of the street which is where they came from, the wind starts to blow again and it knocks my hood down from my head.

I pull it back up on my head. I turn around to see Finn staring right at me. I don't think he saw me and even if he did, he wouldn't recognize me.  It would be pretty embarrassing considering I just made a huge fool of myself.

I am average and he is anything but ordinary. There is nothing all that special about me, I have friends and get fine grades.

I have just never been 'popular' nor ever had an interest to be.  There's too much drama revolving around it.

I walk away but took the long way home which is through the woods and by a stream. I love coming by there because there is an abandoned tree house that I found when I was ten. It holds so many memories.