Chapter 3: The Train

Caleb and I follow the lady. As we are walking the lady says in her Capitol accent,
" Congratulations! I'm Colly, the escort for district 9"
We both remain silent as we go into separate rooms to be visited before we go. The door opens and Gabe and my dad walk in.
" What were you thinking, volunteering as tribute!!" Gabe says as he hugs me, still crying
" Sorry but she was too young it just... came out."
" Darling I just want you to know that I love you and you do your best out there ok?" My dad tells me sternly
" Ok dad I'll try to win, I love both of you so much!!"
We just sit there hugging until the peacemaker tells them that there time is up. Next two parents come in that I don't know.
" Hello dear I'm Mrs. Rite and this is my husband" she says pointing to Mr Rite" I just want to thank you so much for vollenteering for Kendra!"
She starts bursting into tears and Mr. Rite comforts her.
" It was real no big deal..." I say awkwardly
After there time was up more of my friends and there families came to vist until Colly walks in with Caleb
"Come on dear" She says with a smile "Time to get on the train!"
As we walk into the train my face lights up and Caleb's jaw drops. There is a huge table with tons and tons of food.
Colly shows us are rooms they were huge and the beds were very soft. Colly gave us new clothes so I went to take a shower. There were tons of nobs and switches.
After the shower I put the new clothes on and put my mothers necklace on and go out of my room to find everyone sitting down and eating. A woman was sitting down that I remember seeing her at the reaping. She must be our mentor.
Let's be honest no one really talks about district 9 and we only have one mentor so a winner from district 9 is very unlikely. I sit down at the table and start eating. The bread is so good, nothing like the cheep bread I eat in district 9. I look over at Caleb and he is stuffing his face too. Then I look at our mentor and half smile then I look down.
"Well hello!" She says "I'm Rose Thawk, your mentor."
"Won't you say hello?" Colly says with a stern voice
"Hello" I manage to squeeze out.
"We start training as soon as we get to the capital, but I'll give you some life saving tips right now."
"Ok like what?" Caleb asks
"Like don't go to straight to the cornucopia, its a blood bath. Next find shelter and find it fast once it gets dark it could be up to -80 degrees."
"So should I learn how to light a fire?" Caleb asks stupidly
"No, that's how the careers find you from the smoke and the light."
"Ok" Caleb says clearly embarrassed
The rest of the train ride was somewhat relaxing except the constant reminder that I was going to fight to the death and I had no way of fighting back.