Chapter 6

Word Count: 1,580 words

POV: There's more to Jordan Sawyer then Reid or Garcia know but you can't fill them in.

(This chapter is in Hotch's perspective)

"Knock knock!" I hear (y/n) say in a sing-song voice.

"Come in," I say.

"Do you have a minute? I have something I would like to talk to you about, it's quite urgent." They tell me, slipping into a chair.

"Yes of course. Have a seat and fill me in."

"When I joined the team, I wasn't completely honest. In the past, I was forced to do some.. pretty terrible things. However, I can assure you that I have hidden all evidence and turned my life around." They say. At these words, my face remains neutral, although I am shocked on the inside.

"What kinds of things?" I ask cautiously.

"Oh, um, nothing serious, I just- I..." I stopped paying attention while they began to explain the things they've done. What they don't know is that I know the truth about them. I know their true identity is Jordan Sawyer and who Jordan's parents are as well as where they live. I made special requests to get Jordan into the BAU, although they didn't get a single question right on the test. They studied Creative Writing in college for crying out loud. Did they think I was that dumb? What Jordan doesn't know is that they were added to the team as a way to investigate them. No one else on the team knows and it must stay that way until I get some intel worthy enough of-

"Sir?" Jordan says politely while interrupting my train of thought.

"Yes, sorry, I was just taking in all of this information."

"So, you aren't mad that I stole something from the mall when I was a teenager and had minor charges on my record?"

"No of course not. Thank you for bringing this to my attention."

"Of course sir. It had been weighing down on me since I started. I was just too intimidated by you to speak up immediately. I wanted to be the first to tell you because I overheard Reid and Garcia talking about doing a deep dive into my past. I don't think they like me, and they sure don't trust me. Again I am so-" there's a sudden rap on my door three times, waiting to be invited in. "Come in." I finally say, meeting Reid's eye from inside my office.

"Hotch we have something important to tell you!" Garcia and Reid blurt out in unison.

"We were just talking about you guys." The door opens to reveal Jordan, sitting on a chair with their hands folded over their lap.

"So, (y/n) had some pretty interesting things to tell me about the two of you," I say, emotionless in an attempt to make them think I'm on Jordan's side.

"What do you mean?" Garcia asks shakily.

"They're lying Hotch," Reid shouts, I can practically hear his heart pounding in his chest.

"So you mean to tell me you didn't go snooping around (y/n)'s past?"

"Well, yes, but no, that's not what-" Garcia fumbles

"I told you, sir, they don't trust me!" Jordan interrupts.

"Thank you for telling me (y/n), you can go now. I'll deal with them in private."

"Yes sir." Jordan stands up, smoothing their hands over their slacks. Jordan walks out of the room, smiling at Garcia and Reid as they leave. I can see Jordan's mouth move on her way out but can't quite make out what they said.

"Both of you, sit. (Y/n) had some interesting things to share with me, but I would like your side before I make any decisions." I say to them in a no-nonsense tone. I hate having to treat my team like this but they don't know why I'm doing this. Not yet at least.