⚡️Distractions⚡️

Jay and Cole were in charge of looking after the Monastery for a few days, and were both eating dinner on a couch. They ordered a pizza.

"I'm bored. We should watch a movie," Cole said.

Jay sat up a bit, "Okay!! What should we watch?"

"Who's that guy you like?"

"Fritz Donnegan?"

"Yeah, we should watch him," Cole responded.

Jay smiled and went and got his movies.

Not too long after, the two were watching the movie.

Jay was excited at first; he loved Fritz Donnegan movies!!

But this time didn't feel the same. Every time he saw Fritz Donnegan, his mind sidetracked to his biological father, Cliff Gordon. He began to wonder what happened to make his biological parents give him up, and put him into a junkyard when he was younger.

Cole seemed to notice Jay zoning out, staring at the ground rather than the screen, and paused the movie, getting his attention.

"Huh? Do you need something?" Jay asked.

"No, you were just spacing out.. is something in your mind?"

Jay let out a small laugh, "Oh, it isn't too much.. nothing to worry about.."

Cole raised an eyebrow, "That sounds a bit suspicious.. Come on, tell me what's up."

Jay sighed, and an upset expression formed on his face. "Well.. over a year ago, I learned I was adopted, and it's been on my mind ever since.. I wish I could know why they got rid of me, what my problem is," he murmured.

Cole scooted slightly closer to the other. "Why do you think there was a problem?" Cole asked, "They could've just been busy or something."

"There's always a problem! Always with me! Why wouldn't they find some other imperfection?! At this point I'd be surprised if I ever am likable!"

"You don't think you're likable?"

"Why should I?! I talk too much, I'm a coward, my coordination sucks.. I don't feel like I belong with you guys sometimes.."

Jay put his face in his arms and groaned, and Cole looked at him sympathetically.

"Hey, don't put yourself down like that, if you weren't with us, we probably would've failed a lot of times! Like when you saved us from being energy cubes!"

"Are you forgetting whose fault it was we got trapped in that stupid game? It was mine!! You guys only got into that situation because I did! That entire situation was my fault!!"

Jay struggled not to cry, feeling he could break any moment. Cole was about to respond, but Jay started talking again.

"And I-I don't know how to change, Nya told me I could be myself, but w-why should I if I'm just problematic?? I tried to change in the realm of oni and dragons, but that didn't work! I just want t-to feel content!"

His voice was breaking a bit, "I don't do anything right," he said, tears finally falling from his eyes. He felt waves of shame washing over him. He didn't want to be there. He felt like he'd rather be dead.

Cole frowned seeing his friend in this fragile state.

"Jay, shhh, it's okay," he told him.

"I'm ranting too much again, I'm sorry," Jay murmured, his eyes staring at nothing in particular.

"No, it's okay!! You're allowed to talk!"

Jay sniffed. "I don't like being the annoying one.."

Cole put one of his hands on Jay's shoulder comfortingly. "You aren't the annoying one.."

"Yes I am, everybody complains about me talking all the time. I wish I didn't but it's hard for me to help it.. it feels better to say how I feel... but it's annoying.."

Cole listened to his miserable friend, feelings of guilt washing over him a bit.

"Jay.. I never thought you took any of what we said too seriously, and I'm sorry for not thinking more about it.."

"What do you mean?"

"When we talk about you talking a lot, it's always as a joke. Yeah, you talk a lot, but that's one of the things we love about you. Plus it could really help us sometimes.."

Jay rolled his eyes, "It's fine if you think I'm annoying.. I still feel unnecessary to this team though.."

"You aren't.. if we didn't have somebody with your skill in techno-"

"Nya, she's pretty good with technology," Jay interrupted.

Although a bit annoyed he was cut off, Cole stayed calm. "Jay, when Nya said you should be yourself, she was right, you shouldn't care what other people think!"

"Except for that one time she preferred you?! I was being myself then, and it wasn't enough!"

"Jay, please, that was such a long time ago!"

"I know.. we're okay now.."

Cole sighed, and grabbed one of Jay's hands. "Why don't we do something else? We could play a videogame!"

"Not in the mood," Jay mumbled.

Cole thought for a moment. "Do you still have those wing things?"

"Could you be more specific??"

"Well, remember when you got your nunchucks? The lightning ones?"

"Lightning jet?" Jay muttered confusedly, "I can't make that anymore.."

"No, no, not that. The glider things you made, we used them to fly down, right after you got the nunchucks!"

Jay sat up a bit. "Oh! I don't have any in here, but I might have some at home.."

"We should try those out again some time! It was actually really fun.. It's kind of cool you were able to make those if I'm honest.."

"Y-you think so?! I had to remake it a lot of times.. the first few didn't work too well.."

Cole raised an eyebrow, "Oh? How did you.. figure out if they worked?"

"Well.. lets just say I've broken my arms quite a few times.."

The two laughed. "Ow, that must've hurt," Cole said.

"Yeah, but it was worth it when I finally got it right!!" Jay said, finally starting to get into a better mood.

"What other things have you invented?" Cole asked him.

"Well, one time I made a blanket that makes you cold instead of warm.. not really sure who would want it though.."

"That sounds like it'd be good in a desert!" Cole exclaimed.

"Oh, you're right!!" Jay responded.

The two continued talking about Jay's many inventions, Jay's mood seeming to get better as he talked about them. Cole enjoyed seeing him happier, and listening to him ramble on and on about his creations enthusiastically.

He was happy Jay had something to distract himself from his worries.