Chapter Three

One Week Later

I still haven't gone to school. I still haven't gone through my dad's belongings. I have barely eaten all week. I've barely even left my room. There just seems to be no point. Without my dad here there is no point.

I hear banging on my front door. I get up to answer it, pulling a blanket over myself because of how cold I am, I've lost a few pounds because of the little amount I've eaten. So I'm thinner than usual.

I open the door to see my Kurtis and Irene there.
"Sage!" Kurtis hollers, throwing his arms around me. God she looks thin, and her hair! I didn't mean to read his mind, I can't control it. It's his fault that he touched me.
"Hey.." I say, my voice sounding scratchy and odd. I haven't talked to someone in what felt like forever, even though it's only been a week.
"I'm so glad your ok, we've been so worried. You haven't been coming to school!" Irene says, stepping into the house. Kurtis releases me from the hug and looks around. A frown appears on his face, "Your dad's stuff is still everywhere." He says, turning back to me.
"I just can't bring myself to move it or go through any of it." I say, looking down toward the floor.
"You only have to when your ready" Irene says, elbowing Kurtis in his side. He was staring at my hair and was probably planning to say something about it. "Kurtis, how did you get up here?!" I ask, realizing he must have snuck up here somehow.
"I might have borrowed some person's card..." Kurtis says with a sly looks in his face.
"Well we came to check up on you, and I know you're not ready yet, but you have to go to school tomorrow. If you don't you'll automatically fail the exams!" Irene says trying to persuade me to go back to school. Which worked because I can not fail those exams.

"Ok I'll be there tomorrow" I say, waving my hand towards the door, signaling them to leave.
They stand there.
"I promise!" At those words they walk out of my house and down the steps. I shut the door behind them and sit at my fathers desk.

On his desk there were multiple journals, some pens, a laptop and a lamp. I flick the lamp on. I don't need to, it is light outside and I can see just fine, but I feel like I should.
I grab one of the journals off of the stack and place it in-front of me. I try to open the journal, but I can't. I don't know why, but it feels wrong. A tear runs down my cheek, I wipe it away and put the book back on the stack of journals.

I get up and walk to the front door, I need some fresh air. I haven't left my house since- since that night. I grab the handle and open the door. I walk down the steps and onto the smooth pavement. Everyone outside looks at me. I feel embarrassed, like there is something wrong with me. I just wish they would look away. I guess my fathers passing is big news. It was, last time a founding father passed away.

I try to ignore all of the eyes on me and walk to the store. I don't need to get food because of how little I've eaten but I need to do something. I walk into the store and look through the isles. I realize I only have five dollars in my pocket, so I grab a drink and a chocolate bar.

Leaving the store I decide I need to go home and practice for the exam. It is illegal to use your powers on purpose if you're not a legal adult, but no one would know and I'm 17, so its not that bad.

When I get home I realize I need someone to actually practice on, since me and Irene live in the same floor walk over to her house and knock on her door. Her dad answers the door, immediately recognizes me and calls Irene's name.

I hear stomping around and a, "HOLD ON!!"
Her dad looks at me,"Sorry she's probably getting ready." And walks away. A few seconds later shes at the door, "Hey!! Sorry it took me so long" Irene says. I soften up my gaze and say,"Its ok." She takes my hand and pulls me along with her. I hear, this is gonna be fun. I love studying with her!! As we are walking she asks,"Where are we going?"
"We are going to play." I say casually.