Job Hunting

The morning passed by fairly quickly. After I ate I took a shower. I decided to look somewhat approachable since Andy was coming over. It was 12:56 and he's coming at around 1:15. I know I have time so I decided to put the leftover pizza in the oven to warm it up. I hope he is okay with leftovers. I sat down and opened up my laptop to google search and I had brought in the newspaper. I spread it out until I found the job opportunities page. I circled it and flattened it out. Just as I took the pizza out of the oven I heard a knock at the door. Okay. He's your friend. Take it easy. I whispered to myself.

"Hey!" I said. Did I sound to excited?

"Hi jenny-Anne!" He engulfed me in a hug.

"You know u don't have to say my full name. I go by Jen. Or Anne."

"Nah. I like Jenny-Anne better" he grinned at me. "Ready to get a job?"

"Yep! I warmed up some pizza from last night if you get hungry. But for now let's get started. " he followed me to the couch where I plopped down.

"Well you can get rid of the newspaper. Trust me. You won't find any decent jobs that pay you what you deserve." He threw the newspaper behind him causing me to laugh. He took my laptop in his lap and typed something in. Determined to make sure I don't see it.

"Lemme see!!!its my job!!" I whined

"You haven't changed a bit" he chuckled. "No it's a surprise"

"I have changed!" I argued back.

"Name 3 things about you that have changed" he crossed his arms I thought for a moment.

"1. My hair was naturally blonde and it is now black. 2. I have 13 piercings now. Not 6. And 3. I am 21" I said grinning.

"I need to take you to a bar then." He looked at me and then back to the screen. "That's not what I meant though. I meant you are still my friend. You live here. And you still mean a lot to me."

My breath hitched at that last part. I meant something to him? I haven't seen him in forever? "Well I guess." I said. Starting to feel my cheeks go red.

"Aww I got you to blush!" He went to pinch my cheeks but I shove his hands away. "Are you ready to see what I have in line for you?"

"yes!! Gimme gimme gimme!"

"A man after midnight" he mumbled under his breath.

"Cute." I grinned.

When I saw what was on the screen I couldn't believe it. "A bartender?"

"Well you wouldn't believe the amount bartenders make here. The bar down the street is always packed. I figured it would be good. "

"Yeah I guess. That could work. I'll go there later. But now! 20 questions? Or truth or dare!"

"Ermmmm 20 questions"

"Good. You first!" I sat criss-cross facing him.

"Umm what are you majoring in?"

"Criminology and law"

"That's cool"

"Yeah. Ummm did you switch high schools at all?"

"No. Are you single?" Well that was abrupt

"Yeah are you?"

"Yes. Now I know I can buy you a drink one night. He smiled. God that smile could brighten a homeless persons day.

"Haha okay what ever you say. "

"Not kidding. What's your number?"

"I-it's u-um--"

"Are you okay?" His face full of worry.

"Y-yeah it's just I just um. It's kinda hard to talk about this. I uhh" with a loss of words I decided I might as well show him. I turned around and lifted up the side of my shirt to reveal a black mark. "This is why I moved back here for college. My ex fortunately isn't allowed in Ohio due to issues with the law." I lowered my shirt and sat back down. I honestly thought I saw a tear slide down Andys cheek. "It's okay though. I was stupid. I'm stupid for thinking you could hurt me that way too."

"It's not stupid for thinking that. What happened to you is terrible and I'm glad you are safe here." He spoke softly.

"Now about my number." I smiled as I grabbed his phone. I typed it in and sent a text so I had his number.

"Thanks you wanna go he that drink now. I think you need one" I nodded and we headed out. "Let's go to the bar. That way you can ask about the job"

"Sure" we walked at each others side. I felt safe. Not because Danny, my ex couldn't reach me, but because I had Andy.