Chapter One

A Scream in the Wind

(Sequel to The Trackers and the Trailers)

Chapter One

Blaze

I sat on the beach next to my new best friend, Nolan Briar. We'd bonded when I'd moved from Maine to California for my dad's work. I wasn't exactly thrilled when I was told about the move- I'd just finished my education at St. Elizabeth's Academy for Elementalists. We graduate on New Years in the tenth grade, not in the twelfth grade. Though we are supposed to go back to regular school and finish our mortal education in eleventh and twelfth grade.

It was the last night before the new school year started when things changed. I hadn't thought much about until we'd moved: many elementalists live here, in California. Very powerful ones, at that. I fit in that category, now, too. I'm the second most powerful Water User, just behind Julie Castel. When she dies, it's up to me to protect the Sacred Soul of Water.

My older twin sister envied me for my power. You see, she's not an elementalists like myself. Skylar was the one with the looks, I was the one with the power. She has long, slightly wavy light brown hair that comes down to her waist and electric blue eyes. I, on the other hand, have glossy black hair that reaches the middle of my back and piercing ice blue eyes. You'd think my eyes would look like water, but they don't

"Nolan, it's getting late. We should head home," I said. I knew that our houses sat on this very beach, but I was tired and I was returning to mortal school for the first time since I was seven years old. Nolan was returning for the first times since he was fourteen. I guess I have less to worry about, since I'm in a different state. I won't be asked strange questions relating to the sudden disappearance of myself.

"Na," he said, staring out at the water. I pushed my hand out and a little trickle of water rose into the air, above our heads. Nolan sighed, "I know we should. I'm just not ready to go back yet."

I knew he didn't mean he wasn't ready to go back home. He was referring to mortal school. It's not like I wanted to go back either. But again, I wouldn't have to answer questions. "Nolan, you'll be just fine. Remember, you went to a boarding school in France along with other select students. That's all you have to tell them. Nothing else," I comforted.

"But-"

I let the water drop on his head and he gave me a glare in return. "C'mon," I said, grabbing his hand. We were just friends- this is how it was supposed to be. And I liked it that way. But sometimes I couldn't help but wonder...

"Can you dry me off? My mom doesn't like it when I come inside with a wet head."

I waved my hand over his fluffy brown hair. "That better?" I asked.

"Yep," he said, smiling simply at me.

We walked in silence until we reached my house. "'Night," I said.

"Want me to pick you up tomorrow?" he asked.

I shrugged, "I guess so. Sky called the car."

He laughed slightly, "Tell Sky I hate her," he said over his shoulder as he walked toward his house.

"Will do!" I said before closing both the screen and painted solid oak door behind me.

Hey guys! I'm so happy to be starting this after TTATT! It feels crazy though- all of the characters that I've been waiting to put in are here and they seem different than I imagined them. So, did anyone notice how dark these times are supposed to be? I myself think Izzabela's a bit like Voldy from Harry Potter. Yep, I'm a proud Harry Potter nerd! So, love, like, or hate? Let me know by vommenting!

~goddessoflife~