Chapter 24 : So This Is Love

Beginne am Anfang

"That's what drew me to it." I told her. It was true; my love for forests was the main reason I'd considered being a florist. I didn't think working with flowers would help with not forgetting the Enchanted Forest or making it a less painful memory to hold, but that did seem another benefit.

"You've made some lovely dresses over the years and you've a keen eye for detail which would be hugely beneficial with such a job." Halima went on, thinking aloud.

I nodded, "I enjoy needlework and all that. So I think it could be a fun job, but I'm not so sure about it."

I was far more interested in the last option.

"Ah right. And then there's woodcarving." she took a long pause, "The thing you'd have to be prepared for is a lot of disappointment. I know the man who runs the woodcarving business in the town. Thomas isn't known for his kindness. He's a stubborn man and won't take lightly a girl applying."

I stared at the ground, "Well. I know that it's supposed to be a man's job, but since when have I cared about that? Woodcarving is my favourite past time! If I have a chance to make a living out of it, I've got to try."

"Well, of course you must. I know you love it so much. You often sit out in our porch and chip away with those tools I got you, but I want you to be prepared for the struggle it may take to become a carpenter." Halima was watching me with sympathetic eyes, but I couldn't meet them.

Of course I wasn't walking into this blind; I'd watched that man at work before to get a taster. He was hard on his employees and every single one of them was male. But I was determined that by the time I was seventeen, that job would be mine.

I looked up at Halima again and opened my mouth to reply when a knocking at the door suddenly sounded through the house.

We both knitted our brows; neither of us were expecting guests.

"Do you want me to get it?" I asked her, bracing my arms on the side of the chair to answer the door.

She gave a nod, "You can if you'd like Iduna."

I grinned at her and rose, skipping into the hallway where I caught my reflection in the mirror. I looked rather dishevelled, having not taken that much care when I woke up. While I received many compliments for my looks, I never really cared about making myself look pretty in order to receive those compliments. So, as usual, I didn't think much of it, shrugging it off with my usual dismissal, and opening the door.

Where I froze.

The one person for whom I'd have cared about the way I looked was standing right there. I dearly wished I'd taken the time to at least brush down the loose strands of hair, but there was no point now.

"Happy Birthday." Agnarr said. He sounded like he'd just ran all the way here. Now I came to think of it, he looked as though he'd run here too; his hair was all astray and his shirt a little unkempt.

"Thanks." I gave a small smile, gripping the doorframe weakly.

He rubbed the back of his neck with the hand he wasn't hiding behind his back. I suddenly became curious about that.

"I umm." he stuttered, "I came here to give you these." he thrust out his hidden hand, revealing a gorgeous bouquet of flowers.

I gasped in delight as I took them from him. I nuzzled my nose into the centre of the bouquet and let the sweet smell of the flowers fill my nose. They were a selection of the many magical-looking flowers from the Castle gardens. I'd often fancied picking some, but had never dared. Now I didn't have too!