2

"Open up, Blue."

Shadow slipped the thermometer in Sonic's mouth, the metal prodding at the soft flesh under his tongue. It was mildly uncomfortable, the blue hedgehog grunting as the tool was shoved in his mouth.

Shadow had decided to sit down and watch a movie, but had heard Sonic panting from the other room. He came in to see him in a cold sweat, napping on the couch under 4 layers of blankets. The first aid kit that Rouge had provided him was proving to be helpful.

They sat in silence for a few seconds before the thermometer beeped, displaying a startling 103° Fahrenheit.

"Holy shit Blue you're burning up."

"I- I uh-" Sonic groaned, putting his hand to his head in frustration. "I feel better than earlier."

"Then you must have been on the brink of death earlier." Shadow rolled his eyes, walking to the kitchen and coming back with a wet cloth. He placed it on Sonic's head, some cool water droplets dripping down and collecting on Sonic's eyelashes.

This might be more difficult than he has anticipated. Shadow pulled out his phone and searched up "how to care for someone who's sick" on Google, clicking the first article on a site called Medic Wikia.

A sick person needs love and constant encouragement-

The first sentence already seemed like the article was out to get him. Love? Encouragement? And Rouge though he would be good for this job? This was ridiculous. But as he heard Sonic wheezing and panting on the couch, he knew he felt sorry for him. He wanted him to get better, obviously just so he could get back to his life, and if being affectionate with Sonic could grant him freedom then he would do a damn good job of it.

A quick search of "how to be loving" led him down another road of articles, most of which were just relationship advice. Shadow scoffed at the idea of being in a relationship with Sonic. The idea was so preposterous that he refused to click on the articles. He'd just have to wing it.

"Shads!" Sonic wheezed out. "I'm cold, c-can we take the rag off my head?"

"No. Not until your temp goes down."

"But my temp has gone down!" He protested.

"No buts Faker, either the rag stays on or you're taking a cold bath."

"Hell no!"

"That's what I thought." Shadow sighed. "Drinking cold water will help bring your temp down."

"Alright. Can you make me a cup? The cups are in the left cabinet next to the microwave. G-get me a plastic one please." He shivered under the blankets, sinking his head down further into the cotton warmth.

Shadow did as Sonic asked, making a cup and plopping a few ice cubes inside. He gave it to the latter and instructed him to chew the ice when I was finished drinking the water.

"It's c-c-cold Ss-shadow"

"Y-you-" Shadow hesitated. "You can do it, Faker. You're doing great." That was good right? Shadow wanted to ask if Sonic felt more encouraged, but it sounded more ridiculous the more he thought on it. Sonic didn't even seem to notice the extra effort Shadow had just put into being motivating, continuing to shudder and gulp down his ice water.

"Sh-shado-ow" he quivered. "I'm too c-cold. Really."

"Maybe a distraction would help?" He mused, still slightly salty over the fact that he had been encouraging for nothing. Maybe Sonic would notice next time?

"What do you have in m-m-mind?"

"Do you have any board games?" Shadow asked. "Or maybe you wanna watch a movie?"