Chapter 2

The next day, Nightowl decided to do something different. Though the Hidden Forest was the next kingdom for Seasonal Candle quests, she wanted to visit the Vault of Knowledge first.

     She was busy lighting her friends candles in the constellations above her in the heavens when she met another one of her friends.

     This one was another girl named Purple. She had on a turquoise cape like Nightowl and a wizard-like hat from the Season of Enchantment. Cosmetics from that Season were still very popular.

     "Candle farming, I'm guessing?" Purple said warmly as they hugged.

     "You guessed it!" Nightowl replied, giggling. "Care to join me? I'm starting at the Vault of Knowledge."

     "Yeah, I'm down for that," Purple replied, looking up at her friend since she wore a mask that made her small. It was known as the Chibi Mask.

     So taking Purple's hand, both girls set off towards the sixth kingdom. As they entered, their eyes had to adjust to the darkened atmosphere.

     On the wall, stone braziers or sconces were lit with fire, high above their heads, a blue-ish light accompanied the flames. Metallic lanterns, all unlit, lined the shelves to the right and left to them. Sand from the Wasteland behind them was in piles and scattered around.

     Flying up and to the left, Nightowl went into a darkened corner and slipped through a fake stone wall, pulling Purple along too. More unlit sconces were eye-level and to their right as they passed through a narrow passageway.

     The passageway opened up into a grassy area with little flowers and candles littered about. Some candles were on little ledges above their head, some were on the floor. All the same, they lit and collected the wax from the candles.

     "One day, I'd like to be able to get into there," Purple said suddenly, looking over to the light blue barrier at the other end of the cavern.

     Nightowl followed her gaze and flew over to the barrier. She pressed her hand against the wall. It rippled, but didn't allow her to pass. It just made a soft 'hummmm' noise.

     "Me too," she answered. "I know not many Sky Kids can get in there. They are very lucky,"

     The barrier was blocking them from the mythical place known as 'The Office'. Only those with a certain blue cape were able to enter it. There was one time a Sky Kid pulled her through for a celebration, but that's over now.

     "Yeah they are. I don't think I have that kind of dedication to collect a hundred hearts for that cape," Purple sighed. "It'd take forever!"

     "We're able to give each other one heart a day, right? Well, it'll be... a hundred days until you can get it!" Nightowl said cheerfully.

     Purple laughed. "Haha, yeah. A hundred days! That's a long time!"

     Nightowl slowly nodded. "I suppose. The offer still stands though,"

     "I'll think about it,"

     Nightowl and Purple, along with the help of two other unlit Sky Kids, opened a massive stone door that swung inwards to admit them into a small, beautiful graveyard.

     White orbs of light floated close to the ceiling, creating the impression of a starry sky against the blue hue. A spirit resides in this area along with a few candles.

     As Nightowl and Purple hopped around the area, Nightowl kept glancing at the spirit. She looked nervous. She paced in her place, muttering something inaudible. Nightowl wanted to check on her.

     "Are we gonna go?" Purple asked, looking at her curiously.

     Nightowl shook her head to clear it. "Yeah. Sorry," she said distantly. She tore her gaze from the spirit, leading her friend away from the area.

     They continued their ascent up the Vault. A stone platform was underneath their feet, raising them up, higher and higher, helping them float up. And they continued their candle collecting,

     Through their climb, Nightowl kept noticing that the spirits were agitated. They muttered amongst themselves, as if trying to plan something. She began to feel uncomfortable. What was going on??

     "Hey, you seem distracted. Want me to take the lead?" Purple asked, snapping Nightowl out of her trance.

     She dropped Purple's hand and before realizing what she did. "Hmm? Oh! Sorry! Yeah. Go ahead,"

     Purple took her hand and finished their candle run through the Vault of Knowledge. Nightowl did notice that most of the Sky Kids were all working in tandem. It was almost mystical.

     Afterwards, Purple confessed she was tired and went back to take a nap on her cloud. Nightowl, almost entirely submerged in her thoughts, said goodbye to her friend and appeared back at home.

     Shaking her head, Nightowl took a deep breath, and continued her candle run and her daily quests, starting at Daylight Prairie.

     At last, at last! She'd reached the last kingdom she needed to get through. Unfortunately, it was the Golden Wasteland. Through her candle collecting, she noticed that more and more spirits were nervous. She didn't know why though.

     But she didn't need to worry about that now, she had to get through the Golden Wasteland. Pinching the bridge of her weasel mask as if to pinch the bridge of her nose, she took a deep breath and walked through.

     She was met with silence. Just the rushing of wind and the moan of the whale-like creature that swam through the clouds. It was...unsettling.

     Not a single Sky Child in sight. She checked the changing area. No one. She checked a tower above the clearing. Not a soul. Where was everyone?

     Nightowl guessed they were all in the Wasteland below. So, swallowing her feeling of foreboding, she leaped off the edge, her body being snatched up by the winds, sending her tumbling and turning over and over again.

     She sat up and shook off the sand. It was still utterly quiet, but her ears picked up a noise.

     'Click—click—cl-click...'

     She knew that noise...she's not supposed to hear that until she entered the fortress! Flipping over, she pressed her stomach to the grainy sand and army crawled to the top. She peeked her head over the crest.

     What she saw knocked the wind out of her.